Exhaust compatibility?

AmbientMoto

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Morning all. Just brought a 1981 XS400H home (the "Special II"). It's in boxes but ready to be assembled; looking forward to getting it running well. I'll create a separate post for the build.

One thing I can't find: I am wanting to go back to original exhaust; right now it has a 2-1 on it. What model years are compatible with the 1981? Thanks in advance!

80-82 sohc set are a direct replacement. The 77-79 will also work but you need the head pipes also from them. Finding good stock sets are not easy to fine and aftermarket stuff has poor fitment and tuning can be a pain. If you must use aftermarket mufflers I would find a set of 77-79 head pipes to use with them. Post some pics of your bike. I do have a set of 77-79 head pipes with a set of MAC mufflers on them I don't need if you go that route.
DSC03863.JPG DSC03864.JPG

@xschris thanks for the info!

I'm looking for as quiet as possible; I would imagine the MAC mufflers are louder than stock...?
Here is what it looks like at the moment; hopefully soon it will resemble a motorbike:)

IMG_8290.JPG
IMG_8286.JPG

Looks like someone cut the mounting points for the stock mufflers as well as most other things. Yes they are louder than stock but not crazy as they do have baffles in them. Your 2/1 looks like a Mac setup.

Yes. I'll have to add those tabs back. I thought it was a MAC exhaust. Might just put it on and see how it sounds first... we'll see. Much easier to add tabs to the frame now than after it's all put together.

'Much easier to add tabs to the frame now than after it's all put together.'

Not necessarily. Several things the exhaust must clear have to be at their proper points in space to determine clearing them or not. Can't do that with no tabs and can't even put it together anyway.

You are going to be wanting any pics of a complete frame with all tabs on it you can get. It may even behoove you to buy a spare frame if you can find one apart. To get the tabs themselves, some have peculiar physicality to them like distance spacing and such. Not just a simple tab. Footpeg spacing comes to mind if it's not there.

Actually that's good advice... I think we may put the bike together as is then see if we want to make changes. I know this exhaust will mount. A spare frame isn't a bad idea either.

Back