Few Minor, but Interesting Engine Questions

Jamin Smitchger

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have my engine torn apart now, and now I am waiting for a rebore to occur. While the engine is apart, I would like to assess some issues that I have been having that I am not sure are normal.

1. I can move the rods connected to the piston a little bit (parallel to the crankshaft), is this a potential problem, or not something that I should worry about.

2. When the bike is running on its center stand, the back wheel starts turning when the engine is in nuetral. It really doesn't have much oomf to it because I can stop it with my hand, and when the bike is not on its center stand, it does not move. Could this be a potential problem or is it normal?:)

1. side to side ok (within tolerance) check manual, any up and down is not good
2. the running engine spins the clutch basket, residual friction spins the tranmission spinning the rear wheel, normal operation... take your engine in to your mech and ask him to check the rods if you have any doubts

The spec for your first question is in the manual. Just use a dial indicator to check if your within spec.

I'm with everyone else on the second question aswell. It's the same as a car if you had it in neutral with the wheels off the ground it will spin.

Good luck with the engine rebuild.

Shaun

As long as the rod is tight on the crank,it should be O.K.,but as has been said,check side to side clearance with a feeler gauge. lha

Back