Few questions on idle and exhust collector...

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I notice that even when I'm not giving the throttle any movement, the bike still moves forward a little bit. But when I lower the idle screw to the absolute bottom, the bike won't start as the butterfly valve is closed. Is there a way to strike a balance and have the bike start everytime but not roll forward? Also, is there any way to make the throttle less sensitive so it takes more to make the bike move? Right now it's mega sensitive and flies forward with a small movement...

Last question....I know that I need to replace my exhaust collector. Sometimes the bike makes a super loud POP sound from below me under the bike. Could this be what's making the sound? It's definitely not in the cylinders or the carbs...

Stop messing with the throttle and adjust your clutch.
Adjust the throttle cable so it has some slack.
Fix the exhaust leak.

Definitely don't say definitely, because it could be...

Have you adjusted your clutch from on the side of the engine?Theres a black rubber plug that comes out,then theres a nut and screw just like the ones you adjust when you adjust valve lash.Turn the screw clockwise and while hold the screw in place tighten the nut back down.

... Sometimes the bike makes a super loud POP sound from below me under the bike. Could this be what's making the sound? It's definitely not in the cylinders or the carbs...
If it makes a loud POP while you are decelerating with engine breaking, it could be because it is running too lean and then, according to accounts on here, it is definitely the carbs.

Back