finally got an xs!

hwaatadik

XS400 Member
Reaction score
picked up a '78 last week for 400 bucks. First "vintage" bike, but hoping to do a basic cafe style. brakes are seized, suspension needs attention and there is gas in the oil, but shes got a title:thumbsup: got the whole winter to work on her so ill probably have lots of questions! I attached some pictures, and will try to keep posting progress...

Attachments

• xs400.1.gif
    xs400.1.gif
    110.4 KB · Views: 283
  • xs400.2.gif
    xs400.2.gif
    111.4 KB · Views: 278
  • xs400.gif
    xs400.gif
    115.4 KB · Views: 253
im in the same boat brother.... but mine is a 2e... good luck with your build. remember to check the for sale here befor u go to ebay. u tend to get a better deal here :) plus it goes to a fellow xsive always a BIG plus

Welcome and Wow...That was fast!!! Sounds like you're having fun!!! Keep it up.

basic questions....
what's the best oil to use??
what are the best plugs/gap?

right now im using 20-50w and the plugs are autolights from the PO.

progress = fun:D

Oil = diesel grade 15W40, any name brand. I prefer Valvolene for their extra anti-wear additive. This oil is formulated for hard working engines, both diesel AND GAS engines. Best thing you can do for your older design engine. Ok for wet clutches, too. Autozone carries this oil.

Plugs = NGK BP7ES, 0.028 - 0.030 will do fine. Can be ordered from Advance Auto. Don't use resistor type plugs (have an "R" in the number). Replace spark plug caps with new 5-10 ohm NGK caps as the resistor in them burns out over time.

My son picked up a '79 a couple months ago.

Last edited:
Looks like a solid bike to start with. I second the 15w40 diesel oil. I use Shell Rotella, but we all have our preferences. A 20w50 motorcycle oil would be fine. Just make sure that what you use is for diesels or motorcycles. Standard, modern auto oil has friction modifiers that can cause slippage with a a wet clutch.

I use the above mentioned NGKs.

Here is the best advice I could give- download the factory shop manual in post #1, print it out and bind it or put it in a binder:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503

Read it, learn it, LOVE it. You will answer many question by being familiar with this manual. We'll answer the rest.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the info. I'm the fellow behind the curtains on this build. Didn't really take much to get it running. Cleaned the carbs, set the points and she fired up. Idles a little rough right now but the P.O. put crappy autolites in it. Watching the video on setting the points was extremely helpful. Kudos to the guy who made it. The manuals have been downloaded and are printing now.

Last edited:
Great! As you read the many posts of carbs, the common thread through all of them is that you can't clean the carbs too much. There are many passages that can be overlooked.

Have you set the air mix screws to 3-3.5 turns out instead of the factory recommended 1.5? Helps idle and low end performance.

Screws were set to 3 turns. Want to put the correct plugs in and see how she runs. Set the idle at 1500 for now, when i lower it to 1200(factory recommended) it bogs itself down and stalls. Bike hasn't been run since like 2002(inspection sticker expiration date) also haven't put the airboxes back on yet. Thats on tonights to do list along with changing the fork oil and taking the calipers off to see if they need to be rebuilt.

Without filters or foam on the filters, too much air will get through, leaning out the mix. Wait until it is back to spec before doing any other tuning. Adjust valves to spec as that can mess with performance and you will then know they are correct.

At the very least, flush the hydraulic system with fresh fluid. Use DOT 3-4 synthetic but not silicone.

I would also run a few tanks of gas through that has had Sea Foam, or similar additive, to help clean carbs.

welcome man! your makin some killer progress. not to mention its in great shape. no one answered on my build thread post, so ill ask it here. might answer one of yours. anybody know the best place for fork seals? i think mine are shot. pulled up half of one(i think) when i pulled the spring out.

Back