First bike 81 xs400

Windsorite

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster here and a beginning rider looking for my first bike. I recently spotted this bike for sale and wanted to know if it was a good buy and a good first bike for a beginner. This would be my first bike and I'm not the most mechanically gifted but I am eager to learn.

I also was wondering the exact model of this bike as it did not specify in the ad.

Any red flags from the ad or anything I should keep an eye out for if I go check it out?

Thanks!

upload_2019-4-3_8-41-49.png

Looks in great shape for its age. It's a very good starter bike if you don't mind having to do a little maintenance yourself over time.

if it starts up from cold without any fuss and can easily take and back off the throttle you may even avoid carburetor work provided you use ethanol-free gas or fuel stabilizer for any storage periods.

Other than that, only thoughts specific to that bike or it appears the exhaust has been opened up. It is probably rather loud if you're okay with that. There is the option of buying a second-hand exhaust but keep in mind that will add to your cost a decent bit.

Asfour thoughts on the bikes themselves, poke around this form. Here's a good starting place:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/how-to-what-to-do-first-with-your-new-xs400.10595/

It's mufflers are not stock and it looks like someone has put pod air filters on it. Neither are good for tuning or overall performance.

Back