First bike and I need advice.

adkbuddha

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just bought an 81 XS400 and I was planning to change intake/exhaust. i have looked into k&n filters and various exhaust options, but I've always had a soft spot for pod/cone style filters and straight pipes/minimally restrictive exhaust. Does anyone know what I should do in terms of low budget or have suggestions? Also I've heard both sides of jetting carbs vs tuning carbs with open pipes and pods what are some other opinions stories?

P.S. I'm on cloud 9 currently this bike is the same model my dad had for his first bike, except his was red and mine is blue. So please forgive the newb questions most of what I've learned is temporarily beyond recollection. :bike:

Welcome to the group, Under Tech section, is listed a jetting guide. Once in the guide, on the bottome, is similar threads based on keywords. That should get you close.
Tobie

Order a couple of different sizes of all the jets you need. It has been a guessing game for me. I am also working on my first bike and from what I have found you will never get it right the first time if you are changing the the intake or the exhaust. We changed both...good luck

thanks for all the help but i have decided to just go pod filters and leave the stock exhaust at least for now, i may do a mac 2 into 1 header with no muffler at some point but i have a limited budget, so it will be a while.

BTW here is the bike as it sits now

Attachments

• Bella.jpg
    Bella.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 196
I would leave the stock intake and exhaust on it if they are in good shape. Your better off:wink2:

It's good to keep the stock parts with it if you ever plan to sell it. The stock filters are made of foam and are easy to clean. If you go K&N use the long round type if you put them on the carbs. Or if you are lucky to find a set of RC 130's that attach like the stock ones do.

Attachments

• user3160_pic4375_1375882681.jpg
    user3160_pic4375_1375882681.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 199
  • user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    user3160_pic4376_1375883337.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 190
Does brand matter when getting pod filters? All I can find on eBay and a few other sites are no name ones or pod filters made of foam. Also please correct me if I'm wrong but I need 34mm pods to fit my carbs right?

54MM to go directly on the carbs or 52mm to go over the H-pipe. I recommend uni's or REAL K&N. Avoid emgo, mikes xs and no name poop:wink2:

What's better to do, direct to carbs or keep the h shaped boot? My buddy seems to think I'll have less issues with my carbs if I keep the boot, kinda like an exhaust that's dual with an h pipe it equalizes pressure.

Back