first bike its got some problems...

tonytattoo8000

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So i just bought a xs400 for a friend of a friend. Its my first bike and I dident know what to look at or cheack for other than some basic things i was told to look for, anyway i took a gamble and bought it. the guy droped it off and I started itup and it was runing for a little wile and then whould idle down and shut off. Soi messed with the idle screw and then it wouldent start at all no matter how high or low I turned it. So i charged the battery and got it running and adjusted the screw. I get home from work go to see if it willstart upand it does for a bit then idles down and shuts off. I keep trying and then let it sit so the engine doesent flood. I try it again and same thing starts up and idles down and out. Leave it for an hour come back and wont start. Any ideas on whats going on?

I suggest starting with the basics . I want to assume the carbs haven't been cleaned in a while. it sounds to me like the idle jet is clogged a bit ... how does it sound when you rev it past idle rpm? Or maybe a long shot on the carb boots... they could be cracked and disrupt the mixture... take some starting fluid and spray around each boot ( not into the air filter!), if the engine picks up rpms then you have an air leak. .. doubt its the case but its easy to try.

Posted via Mobile

See the above post.

Install in-line fuel filter.
Fill with premium gasoline.
Change the oil and filter.
Clean, lube, and adjust the chain.
Check tire pressure.
Check brakes.
Inspect steering for free play or resistance.
Clean the carbs.
Inspect air intake and filters for holes.
Check carb settings; float height, jet size, turns out on mixture screws, etc.
Set the timing and point gap if applicable.
Adjust valves.
Synch carbs.
Replace the spark plugs.
Inspect all critical hardware and torque on critical hardware.

The manuals available in the sticky post cover all of these procedures.

If you're experienced you can probably tackle all of this in a day. If this is your first time working on engines/bikes expect it to take a week assuming you have adequate free time.

Grab a sandwich and get reading :)

Back