First custom bike, want to learn from seniors

budiono

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
this is my half-done xs400, I'm new in bike customizing, want to hear comments and suggestions from experienced people like you are. Thank you.

Attachments

• half done.jpg
    half done.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 434
Nice bike I like the looks of it. What is holding your battery on the side there, it looks like an interesting relocation idea. A few more pics would be cool as well!

Welcome

looks like the battery is partially abscured by the motor plate. frames not stock. single backbone and double down tube lead me to believe its a 650 frame? looks really good man. what are those wheels afoo of? reminds me a a yamaha radian or something

yeah looks like a 650 frame, cool rear motor mounts.. could use some speed holes though.

i like the underside curve of the tank, makes the bike look really modern and with those wheel combo :thumbsup:

can u take some pics of whats going on with the exhaust? looks cool

Hello, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comments, you guys
are really nice. Let me tell you a bit of the bike's story : It starts with an idea
of creating my "dream bike" using my 3D designing software, while my knowledge
about custom bikes is almost none. Seeing the design result, a friend offered me
an xs400 which was customized already, but in an old-school style (correct me
if I'm wrong). Then I thought that with some further modifications, it could get
a quite similar proportion and "posture" (can't find a proper word for this) to
my 3D bike.
So I started with the wheels, it is an aftermarket wheel (cheap wheels, made in Taiwan
or even Indonesian local made). I had to buy two sets : 17" and 18".
Then I carved a styro-foam block for the tank's mock up, and let a tank-maker to
imitate it. I also replaced the engine mounting plates (speedholes idea from FUBAR sounds cool, thanks! I'll think about this).
I'm still confused about what to do with the exhausts. What I've did was just put a
car muffler, just to reduce the noise. I'm still unhappy with how it looks.

So that's a brief story of my bike, it will be quite a long way to go, far from finish.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 344
  • Graphic4.jpg
    Graphic4.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 348
  • Graphic3.jpg
    Graphic3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 334
  • Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Graphic0.jpg
    Graphic0.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 338
Hi guys,
as suggested, I put some more pics here, hope that you could give me more
comments and suggestions.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 324
  • dscn2313 800 x 600.jpg
    dscn2313 800 x 600.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 353
hand (suicide)shifter would be cool on that bike.

ditch those exhausts, why not have the rear fender as an exhaust, just seen one on somewhere on you tube.

Hand shifter? Sounds great, so how would the clutch be? Will it be foot operated? Drewpy, Bentwrench, would you tell me where can I find descriptions / pics of a hand shifter ?
This is an interesting idea to me.

I see, I got it, thank you Folcomskater. Both types of Handshifters look very cool, with a clutch lever on it or with a foot clutch. But I don't think I'm brave enough to ride them,
it may be a real suicide to me. But thank you for your suggestions guys, you build up
my knowledge. My wishful thinking is : if someday I could afford building a tilting
three-wheeler chopper, then a jockey shifter will be my choice.

Nice bike!

I think lowering the front would get the stance closer to your rendering.
And don't touch the exhaust, it's lovely.

Lowering the front? Yeah, I think it's worth to try, thanks for the idea Sandrew. With that stance, what do you think about an upside-down fork? (if someday I could afford it).

Back