First Post and XS400 build

XpetithS

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
:bike:

Figured id start with a first post to say hi and show what ive been up to. Honestly don't know much about bikes but i knew i wanted one for a long time and with a good friend of mine building some kick ass bikes i dove right in.

About June last year i picked up this 82 XS400 for $600. Hope that was a good deal. It was pretty clean and yes ran and drove haha.

13914029894_529bb498f1.jpg

I quickly decided the seat and bars needed to go which was probably dumb but i'm inpatient and couldn't wait til winter. So i cut off the back, welded on a hoop and mounted some lights and threw on tracker bars.

13913607935_5597659dbe.jpg

13913607695_5df86e4734.jpg

Money and time got tight and i never got around to finishing it so it sat. Then i decided i didnt like how the hoop was so i picked up and upswept one and redid it. Made a pan and the seat and mounted new turns and the same tail.

13913442253_cd25ef0970.jpg

13890273846_c38f99425d.jpg

13913722824_bc0a9263ea.jpg

13889801581_197036354e.jpg

Had a body of mine paint the tank and covers and i painted the frame quick and this is how it currently sits.

XS400 by JoshuaPetith, on Flickr

I still need to do a few things. She fires up again after i figured out the switch needed to be grounded with the painted bars. I gotta figure out my mirror (don't like that one) and a few other new pieces at some point like shocks and gauges.

At a stand still though with the turns and brake light. I cant get them to work. It does seem like im getting power to any of them and i hadn't changes any thing besides their style. Ant recommendations? I wanna reg it tomorrow and hopefully finally luckily ride soon :D

looks good :thumbsup: although I have to say it was in great condition when you got it as well and it does always hurt to see such a nice original get cut up.

Welcome to the forum. Your bike is a 81. For the lights, make sure the battery is fully charged and everything is grounded correctly.

Ha! yes you're right xschris! I have a few vehicles in the early 80s and mix things up. Btw, how can you tell the year?

Well I found one ground I missed and connected it and still nothing. I did a little more digging and found that my rectifier may be bad? Ohmed out the lead and everything was open. Found a article that they should ring out to 300-800 ohms. Oh yes and it's a brand new battery and non led lights.

And thanks for the comments! It's a vw color. Mountain green.

Thanks!

Figured out my lighting issues. It ended up being the painted bars and a bad connection on the fuse panel.

So close to ride!

Back