first post, first bike, first rebuild

Konck

Konck
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My name is Phillip and I'm from a city called Port Elizabeth in South Africa. I'm currently a Mechanical engineering student who has a little place in my heart for classic bike, though I have never owned one myself.

While browsing a local classifieds website, I came across this 1980 XS400 Special. I came across XS400.com and have been growing in confidence thanks to all the help available here. I browsed the forums with the VIN and confirmed its a 1980. The photos are what the seller sent me as I didn't take my own when I went to look at it.

The first thing I checked was the Vin on both the motor and the frame... BONUS! both match which tells me that this bike isn't accident damaged. :thumbsup: According to the seller the bike drove great until the motor started running oval. He then removed the motor and decided to dissemble the bike for a completely new paint job. According to him all the parts are there except the battery, head and cylinder....:shrug:

The motor turns and everything seems in okay to fairly good shape. He's looking for about 2000 Rand, which equals to about US$175.

I want to know if some of you could give me an indication if this is a suitable project to take on for me. I'm very mechanically inclined, but on a limited budget. I've also never worked on motorcycles, but did some work on cars. I'm looking to get it running so that I can use it as a daily driver.

Sorry for the poor quality photos. The assembled bike is when the po got it.

Any suggestions, tips and tricks would be awesome!!

Attachments

• 20090705-1717619-1980-Yamaha-XS400.jpg
    20090705-1717619-1980-Yamaha-XS400.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG-20150227-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20150227-WA0000.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20150227-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20150227-WA0001.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-20150227-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20150227-WA0002.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20150227-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20150227-WA0003.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 103
I would price out all the parts that are missing, and see how much it all would cost to get them shipped to you. Also checking the crank bearings for rust and making sure the motor is not seized. Looks to be missing quite a bit of the top end I.e. Carbs, head, cam, valves. You will need quite a bit to have it going again. Might just want to move on and/or wait on another? With all the money you would need to spend, you will probably will end up at a price of a bike that is in better condition. Just my honest opinion.

Thanks for the reply

The carbs, valves, cam, pistons, wiring harness etc is there, just not on the bike. The bike literally just needs the cylinder and the head. Also, the motor is not seized. The motor was disassembled so it has been standing for a few weeks without any oil or fuel.

The guy told me today that he has a number for a guy with two incomplete sx400's that I could call up for parts.

Oh. Well in that case, go for it mate! For $175 you really can't go wrong with the purchase. Check the crank for any up and down play though. Side-side is okay. Just no up and down. If you just need a head and jug, buy one, Hone it. measure the bore and purchase the corresponding Pistons and rings. Goodluck!

I'm not sure of much more else you can check before purchasing. Someone please comment if there is something he needs to check that I've missed? First I would find a Service manual, head and cylinder,. Then measure the bore and check the cross-hatching. If it is smooth like glass buy a hone, and purchase the rings and Pistons that will be needed after measuring with the new cross hatching.might want to pick up one or both of those do or bikes too, probably will save you money on shipping costs if you need parts shipped international. Hope this is helping you.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I really appreciate it!

I just talked to the owner of the XS400 I'm looking to buy, and he said he just bought a cylinder and head for about $80... This basically means that the only major thing I have to buy is a battery. What do you guys think should be the maximum amount of money i should spend? $250? $300?

Like I mentioned previously, I'm on a bit of a tight budget. This is definitely going to be a long term commitment, so I'm willing to buy parts as money becomes available. I just don't want this to slip through my fingers if it's a great deal for a first time builder.

Any opinions will be much appreciated!

It's really up to you, what you consider a good price. I would try for the cheapest possible, especially on a tight budget. Also depends on the condition of the cylinders and head.

So I've been thinking of waiting on another, more complete bike.... Then suddenly the owner sent me a message and said I can take the bike for $125.
I am now really keen to take this deal... the only thing I'm a little concerned about is the new (secondhand) cylinder and the current piston...

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Back