First post, Hard to start up, Dies when idling for a while. Any Ideas?

FoxRooney

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I got my 80 xs400 About a year ago. Got the carbs cleaned at a Yamaha garage immediately and it has been running great, until recently.

The bike has always been hard to start up when its been sitting for more than a few hours. It usually takes me 5-10 kicks on a warm day, 10-20 in the fall or winter. I never cared to much cause it's all part of the charm. I've also noticed the Battery (which is new) tends to loose it's charge pretty quickly and I need to recharge it. I can tell there is oil or gas leaking out of the head gasket as well, but this hasn't cause any problems. Other than these issues the bike would run smoothly.

There's the history, now for my problems:

Recently while driving the bike would die when it has to idle for more than 30 seconds -minute (At red lights and such). After getting it home by consistently feeding it gas. I notice the bike would bog down, and sometimes die if I opened the throttle to quickly, leading me to believe the mixture to lean.

Now, it takes a great deal of sweating to get the bike going again, It catches, starts up quickly and dies immediately, and repeats this until it eventually stays running.

Any ideas? suggestions? I'm pretty new at this but have been having learning a lot recently. Most of the work I've done on it has been body work/electrical but i'm looking forward to opening up more!

Lots of help to be had here, but you need to download the manual and buy a voltmeter and some other tools.

1. Have your battery tested for it's amp capacity. It needs volts (money) and amps (generosity of spending) to use your electric starter. Some batteries have volts and no amps, and can't kick the starter. Replace battery and make sure it's new, and charged properly after being filled the first time. Google how to do it RIGHT.

2. Your bike needs something to make it fire correctly. I don't know if you have cdi or points, but if you have points, correctly adjust them. It's easy.

3. Gap your spark plugs correctly. All of this stuff is so easy a 4th grader could do it.

4. Learn to work on your carbs. They are too easy to pay someone else to do.

5. With your voltmeter, learn to find the things failing on your bike like regulator/rectifiers and so forth.

6. test your charging system, stator and rotor and measure the ohms. I suspect this is what is causing your difficulty starting.

then get back to us. You have homework to do. You will love the challenge, growth, and support of this forum. We all grew up messing around on our own bikes with wrenches, whether 15 or 60!

Ride safe

Drewcifer

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
I won't be much help as I have very little experience with diagnosing or fixing. Lots of folks on here do though.
I wonder if you could clarify something. If you were to get it started and go for a long ride (where you didn't have to idle at a light etc.), will it keep running fine as long as it is under load? I hate to relate it to my old carbureted car, but it would start to flood out when it sat idling but under load it used up the fuel as fast as it was fed and ran fine. If that's what your bike's doing (aside from the obvious electrical issues Drew was figuring out) then maybe there's a fuel flow problem in the system too.
Sorry, I wish I could recall what the fix was for the old car - like I said, I'm not much help. Best of luck.

hate to ask but do you perchance happen to have a huge parasitic load? fyi by parasitic load I mean is something draining your battery while your bike is "off"? have you a car battery or other some such 12v power supply with a lot more capacity than your bikes battery and is your battery still good? autozone can test them but i dont trust their machines as ive had an old mustang that the battery tested fine but the car would run outta voltage. switched everything else and still had a problem. new battery and instant success. point is try another bigger power source for starting and whatnot as it seems like your bike is lacking in the battery department at this time.

Back