First timer needs help

robbie c

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey all Im a first time bike owner with little to none mechanical experience .. I got a cpl 81 xs 400s cheap and decided to learn on em ..my bike wont start its been sitting and its been wet and cold for a while .. I got good compression 150 psi both sides , I went to check my spark last night and just get a lil blip outta each side not right away either .. it takes a second or two .. all my lights and everything come on , battery fresh charged new plugs . I m not to good with electric i ve got the manual and wiring diagrams . so any ideas any help would be great I just need to get pointed in the right direction .. thanks very much .

Rob C

clean or replace the plugs, spray a bit of easy start in there to eliminate the carb, take it from there :D

Be carefull when checking the plugs. The 81 has an TCI (electronic box) that fires the ignition. If the sparkplug is not grounded (screwed into the head or firmly grounded to the head) and the engine is turned over you can damage the TCI or the coils. You can buy special tester plugs that have an aligator clip attached to them that can be cliped to the head fins.

Ive never heard of Easy Start so I ll give that a shot the plugs are in good shape so I ll clean em up or get new ones they cheap thanks Drewpy !

Xs I didnt ground the plugs when I checked em , I did learn after the fact on Youtube to clip em to the fins , so im gonna make a clip .. luckily I have another set of coils kicking around Im gonna try those as well if not I found this Parts store online that has em for fairly cheap

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/xs400/?filters

thanks guys hopefully she ll go this weekend

Back