Fixing scratches and a deep dent in gas tank - best product?

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I bought some products to fill the small ding and scratches in the gas tank (it's a pretty deep dent but didn't puncture into the tank)

Just wanted advice on the best one to use...

1. I have the option of using Bondo Glazing and soft putty to fill the hole and then paint over it and sand it down. It's HERE

2. OR I also have Versachem heavy duty tank repair kit which can fill the hole and then I can paint over it HERE

3. Lastly, I grabbed a Bondo self adhesive body patch. HERE

Should I use a combination of the 3 or just use #1 and return the other 2 unopened?

Without a picture of the tank its hard to tell the best course of action. But I'll take a stab at it anyway:

Glazing/spot putty is not for filling dents, its for filling scratches.
The Versachem is for fixing leaky tanks, not dent repair
The Bondo patch is for covering a hole before filling it over with Bondo.

If its a small simple dent, Bondo/body putty should work just fine, followed by primer, followed by base coat, followed by clear.

Ok thanks. Do I have to get primer though? I was just going to plug the hole with the patch, cover it with body putty and then paint over it

"I was just going to plug the hole with the patch" OR "it's a pretty deep dent but didn't puncture into the tank". If there is no hole, you don't need the patch, just fill it with Bondo. If you have a hole, take it somewhere and get it welded shut or it WILL leak. Then Bondo over the weld.

YES you need primer. grind, fill, smooth, prime, sand, paint. Either bondo or or better yet duraglas. Make sure you grind the dented area well before applying product for maximum adhesion.

Back