Foam got suxk out out of my pod and.................

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
All the way through my carbs then got stuck in the butterfly on one carb.When I my engine started it went to 5k`s revs before I shut it off quickly.Hopefully starting up at full revs at 5ks doesn't hurt anything?I would assume if gets suck through the intakes it just going to burn correct?

yea I would think a bit of foam will burn away. So you're probably fine, if you've cleaned out all the stuff as far as you could. Just hope it's not blocking anything at your valves or something! Maybe consider checking your valve clearances again soon, if the foam burns in your cylinders it might leave some residue making your valve clearances a bit smaller. But honestly, that's just me guessing..

I'm still debating on using pods and adding a little extra foam to adjust the air flow, but I'm going to try and add a piece of mesh inside mine also that will prevent the foam from getting sucked out.

I have to say that this is one of the sillier ideas I've read on here. If you don't want the added airflow of pod filters, don't install them!

What's next? Installing open headers for the "cool look" and then complaining about the noise?

I'm still debating on using pods and adding a little extra foam to adjust the air flow, but I'm going to try and add a piece of mesh inside mine also that will prevent the foam from getting sucked out.[/QUOT

I cant blame it on the pod itself
I rolled the foam inside the pod filter and didn't have anything to hold it back.MAYBE MESH WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO PREVENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN>
xscHRIS IT WAS MY EMGOSz
Williem I plan on doing another valve adjustment.

I have to say that this is one of the sillier ideas I've read on here. If you don't want the added airflow of pod filters, don't install them!

What's next? Installing open headers for the "cool look" and then complaining about the noise?

It's for the aesthetics! :D:thumbsup::wink2:

If I wanted more air flow, I could have just ripped the foam off the old ones and left them as is, or replaced it with thinner foam.

Just a warning and heads up for you new guys,dont skimp when it comes to buying pods for your bike.If you buy quality pods you don't have add extra foam to reduce excess air flow.

Use pod filter oil if you need better filtering. Don't stuff things in them:doh: Bad idea.

Just a warning and heads up for you new guys,dont skimp when it comes to buying pods for your bike.If you buy quality pods you don't have add extra foam to reduce excess air flow.

The better the quality, the higher the airflow. There is no such thing as "excess airflow" when it comes to performance air filters. If you don't want the higher airflow, don't install performance air filters!

Problem was with pods I had bought there was no foam just a screen mesh material.It allowed plenty of air flow but no protection for sucking dirt into the carbs.When I put the foam I figured the lip would keep them from getting sucked into the carb.Replacements are getting ordered today.

Most pod filters have a cotton or synthetic fiber cloth between 2 layers of aluminium mesh. They must be oiled before use to filter properly.

If you wanted additional filtering, there are foam socks that go OVER the filter, not in it!

UNI foam filters will filter the best (oiled of course) and work well with our CV style carbs when they are put directly on the carb.

But these still require jet changes, right?

Not always. Most people don't oil there pod filters and that is the problem. If you use pod filter oil most likely don't need to change jets just the adjustments ( idle mix screws and needles for the mids) I run the old style K&N's that fit in the factory H-pipe and use stock jetting, but I also have the xs360 carbs:wink2:

Back