Fork differences between years

perattzi

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Curious about the specific fork differences between years/models. I know that the later models had 35mm diameter tubes and earlier ones were 33. Although mines an 82 with drums and the forks are 33 diameter. I am switching to discs, it's a pitty my forks aren't rusted at all but I can't use them. What I am trying to find out is how much longer are the special forks than the standard models? I've done my research about effectively shortening the special type and it seems that 2 in is about the most one would to shorten them. Will that get me close to standard length? Another question is caliper mounting. I didn't realize til I had already Bought a caliper that the 80' and after have a different caliper/ mount. I bought an 81 mag wheel with disc and caliper. Does the later version caliper bolt up to pre 1980 forks? Thanks for any help!

As far as I know all the forks are 33mm and the same length. As far the brakes as long as you have the tabs for disc they should fit all years (sohc models) in 1980 they did change the design of the caliper but same bolt spacing.

there is a difference of about 2" from the standard "Euro model" ie xs 400 C/D to the custom bikes with the stepped seats.

I fitted the longer set on my tracker so I could raise the seat height due to me basically sitting on the frame rails!

As far as I know all the forks are 33mm and the same length. As far the brakes as long as you have the tabs for disc they should fit all years (sohc models) in 1980 they did change the design of the caliper but same bolt spacing.[/QU

I guess I should add that this goes for only u.s. models:laugh:

Ok good to know. Thanks guys. Drewpy, I may run into that same issue myself cuz I'm making a cafe tail for it, sO it will sit very low. Did you add longer shocks? Any issues with the chain clearing the swingarm tube?

Ok good to know. Thanks guys. Drewpy, I may run into that same issue myself cuz I'm making a cafe tail for it, sO it will sit very low. Did you add longer shocks? Any issues with the chain clearing the swingarm tube?

if you check my blog, i put a nylon protector on the swing arm. doesn't touch when I sit on it:D

Back