Fork problems

Orangetuesdays

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.. I'm having some problems with my forks.. Could someone take a look and help me out?

IMG_0544.jpg

Just kidding. The problem I'm having though is in the picture. I have the forks pretty much completely disassembled.. the problem is that fork tubes are so bent that the rod that's inside (not sure what it's called) won't come out. I currently don't have means right now to bend the tubes straight enough to be able to pull the rod out. Anyone know where I can get a replacement for the rod that's inside the tubes or would I be better off just buying a whole new front end?:shrug:

In the bottom of the one tube, where the wheel axle goes, isnt there a allen head screw in there, and have you allready pulled that one out? (my first attempt at working on the bike) Let me know, if you dont have the allen wrench, I could make a trip down there, loan you the tool, if you dont allready have one.

So.. I'm having some problems with my forks.. Could someone take a look and help me out? ... the problem is that fork tubes are so bent that the rod that's inside (not sure what it's called) won't come out ..... :shrug:

I looked up your problem and found a post on a site that outlined how they used to do it. They were trying to straighten them out to perfection so they could be used again. You are simply trying to straighten them enough to get the parts out. Maybe adapting their techniques would work. I might think about making some wooden "V" blocks or a frame to hold the fork, then jack my car up and lower it back down slowly onto the high spot. Might be enough weight to straighten it just enough to free the inner workings. Please don't try to re-use them after this kind of stunt though. :yikes:
"We used to straighten a lot of fork tubes back in the 70's providing that they weren't too badly bent.
A lot of bikes that just needed new oil seals had a bit of a kick in the tubes.
They weren't bad but they were also not dead true.
We had a milled plate that the fork tube was rolled on to find the high spot and then set up in "V" blocks in a workshop press with a magnetic based dial indicator and we'd straighten them to less than .001" of runout.
It was a bit time consuming at first but after a few you got the idea."

I looked up your problem and found a post on a site that outlined how they used to do it. They were trying to straighten them out to perfection so they could be used again. You are simply trying to straighten them enough to get the parts out. Maybe adapting their techniques would work. I might think about making some wooden "V" blocks or a frame to hold the fork, then jack my car up and lower it back down slowly onto the high spot. Might be enough weight to straighten it just enough to free the inner workings. Please don't try to re-use them after this kind of stunt though. :yikes:
"We used to straighten a lot of fork tubes back in the 70's providing that they weren't too badly bent.
A lot of bikes that just needed new oil seals had a bit of a kick in the tubes.
They weren't bad but they were also not dead true.
We had a milled plate that the fork tube was rolled on to find the high spot and then set up in "V" blocks in a workshop press with a magnetic based dial indicator and we'd straighten them to less than .001" of runout.
It was a bit time consuming at first but after a few you got the idea."

This is what I was thinking about but I don't have any sort of press. I don't really want to try and pound on the fork either with a hammer for fear that I'd just put a huge dent in the fork instead of just bending it.

Can you just put in the vise and cut the outter tube?

I don't have anything that would be able to cut through a fork. All I have is a small Dremel.

In the bottom of the one tube, where the wheel axle goes, isnt there a allen head screw in there, and have you allready pulled that one out? (my first attempt at working on the bike) Let me know, if you dont have the allen wrench, I could make a trip down there, loan you the tool, if you dont allready have one.

I'm talking about the actual inner tube. The outer tube is the part that has the hex bolt in it. You take that out and you can pull the inner tube from the outer tube. The rod that's inside the inner tube though (the one that I'm trying to get out) is the part that the hex bolt screws into to hold the outer and inner fork together.

so not worth the time. ebay cheap replacement forks

Been looking around without much luck. There's a pair on sleezebay right now for $115 and they don't look like they're in that great of condition. I don't feel comfortable with my mechanical ability to do a full out swap from a different bike either... though if it's just the inner tubes then something might be doable. I'll keep looking around though.

This is what I was thinking about but I don't have any sort of press...
If you still like the idea of bending it just enough to get the internals out, make up a wooden cradle that will prevent it from rotating when the high spot is pressed.
Then jack up the heavy end of a car or truck (use 2 or 3 hydraulic or screw jacks) and then lower it onto the high spot (use a board in between).
If it works, you would only have to lower it down a couple of inches. If the fork is strong enough to hold it up without bending - give up and buy retail. :wink2:

Back