Free 400

xsBrian

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here,
A friend of mine has this bike sitting around for years and told me I could have it.
he said it was late 70's and it doesn't run ,but I think its a 81 or something. so now I have to decide what to do with it?

Cheers
Brian T

Attachments

• XS400.jpg
    XS400.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and that's a great deal!!! From the way it looks it seems to be a 1980 g model with the economic dual drum brakes. Anyways you can always restore it and get it running back to prime condition or do what alot of people on here do and thats chop it up and make a nice cafe racer or bobber. What ever you do end up doing there are many people on the forum willing to help you out. Good luck :bike:

Welcome
I would say clean it up clean the carbs,check for spark, shine and polish all the aluminum and chrome and see if it run.If you get it running leave it in classic form and enjoy riding it.Too many people imo chop up classic bikes.

Before putting any time, effort, or money into it, check to see that you can get it titled in your name. No title = parts bike unless you have another way of obtaining the title. There are ways but they are often more expensive or more trouble than it is worth.

Yes it has all the right paperwork so it should be no problem getting insurance, my first bike was a 82 heritage special 400 so this bike is familiar,My last bike was a 85 RZ500 so this one will seem a little slow.
As far as what to do I was thinking cafe racer style but who knows I'd say the way it sits it won't be too much fun to ride.

I'd say the way it sits it won't be too much fun to ride.
Have you ever road one of these bikes down winding roads they are quite fun.I dont know what its like to ride a bobber or cafe racer round them though.I just hate seeing nice bikes that are original being chopped up but thats me because they are getting harder to find.Now if you got a junker thats worth stripping down and chopping then I dont feel so sentimentle.
Personaly speaking on my bike I like the way it looks in stock form except for the handlebars which I hope to change.Also my exaust I want to improve by adding a 2 in 1

Well it runs,

And not too bad I might add, with a new fuse block and a bit of a carb clean $20 in all and some elbow grease it fired right up!
found out that the tach cable is broke but no biggie. the speedo shows a little over 9 thousand K's :thumbsup:

Cheers
Brian T

Attachments

• DSCN1935.jpg
    DSCN1935.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN1937.jpg
    DSCN1937.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN1939.jpg
    DSCN1939.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 314
Man someone really like to go in straight lines on that bike. Time for new tires I think =)

Back