Free throttle upgrade. Get a free new throttle in 15 minutes.

Drewcifer

1976 XS 360 Maniac
Reaction score
My sticky throttle was pissing me off. I even krazy glued it onto the nylon sleeve, but I applied too much and it got really sticky then. It was hard to grip, it slipped around, and it was tiring to twist.

So I took the grip off, dismantled the assembly, slipped the cable out of the nylon sleeve, lubed the actual inside of the cable housing, and drylubed inside the assembly and the sleeve plus added lube on the bare handle bar before reassembling. It glides like it was on bearings now. Wish I'd known all along! Your accelerator should function very smoothly and without effort. It's not a workout. If it takes effort, take it apart and lube it, especially inside the cable.

Try it out. All you need is some dry lube, krazy glue, and acetone to clean up.

Warning. Just a few drops of glue if you're putting on a loose grip and only put them on the nylon sleeve, closer to the tach end, not near the bar end. if you spread it across the halfway point the drops will get pushed under the sleeve and you'll have to remove the whole thing again. Just a few where your right thumb and pointer finger would go. No more.

Once it's on, give it a twist to spread the krazy glue. I kept mine a few mm's away from the assembly! Huge difference.

and now, ride pics from Yesterday

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Funny how people adore this bike. They have to come up and chat with me. Brings back great memories for older riders.

the bike following is huge in the states. wish i still lived there...

here is just a bunch of yupie sport bike riders

That's the HUGE once a month on the 3rd sunday ride hosted by VVMC. All are welcome, vintage preferred (they sort of don't like my Yamaha, but I did a roadside repair for one of their patched guys after he went down because NONE of them had tools and Molly has a toolbox full of goodies in the frame. Maybe they'll warm to the old XS after that!)

That pretty much IS the Deus Ex Machina crew. The VVMC is sort of the pet club of Deus Ex Machina (the surfing/clothing shop that has just as many vintage motorcycles as boards on display) since they're both in the town of Venice. Deus has a "sunday mass" that consists of live music, bbq, and a huge group of guys from everywhere, 75% from the VVMC, and they stop there after the ride. If google VeniceVintage.com you'll see the site, ride pics, and photos from Sunday Mass as Deus.

Fubar, I bet if you get some guys together and do a few rides where you all wear a patch or a riding club insignia, you'll attract the bikers from the woodwork. As for the guys being yuppies, I don't know much about that, I just love to ride and all are welcome. Just bring a good vibe. You'd be surprised who turns out to be cool to ride with if you give them a chance.

Well if you guys want to head to LA, just pm me. I'll do my best to find you someplace to bunk, something to ride, and some new friends to meet. LA can suck if you don't know the secret word, but for me xs400.com is like a global MC, know what I mean? So to me, you guys are my brothers. All welcome.

haha ya your right maybe i was too harsh, theres very few vintage bikes is maybe what i meant,

i really dig the plain jane clear visor, whered u score that? is it a bell 500 lid?

Bad@$$ Drew, wish my area had that many bikes..I'd be lucky to get 15 guys to ride with if 10 of them didnt spit on my Honda before or during the ride:(

Okay, children, lemme tell you a story. It's story time.

Once upon a time Drewcifer had the hots for a very sexy librarian type of girl. But she was tall. Like a showgirl, long and lean, and she had legs for days and very naughty looks in her eyes behind her glasses. She looked like Dawn, the litter girl from Welcome to the Dollhouse, but grown up, and prettier. She rode a Harley.

Drewcifer had no bike, so he phoned his older brother, the Biker Wizard of the North.
"I wanna ride so I can hit on this chick."

"Who knows" he repied wisely "Maybe you'll meet a better chick on the ride!"

The Biker Wizard of the North found a cool old vespa pervert who was moving south from Washington state to Cali. The guy not only ferried the bike down in his Uhaul, he did so because he understood, and only accepted 100 bucks to fuel the truck in order to help. The bike was in front of my office in 3 days. One day to find the bro to help, and two for him to drive down.

I put a buncha pics of my bike on facebook because I was a proud poppa, and my favorite ex girlfriend, one I am still great friends with asked me if had given her a name. I saw she was a redhead, so I named her Molly.

Anyways the Harley girl teased me because I named my bike Molly. She teased me and asked me if it was a 125. But finally she asked if I wanted to go on a ride on Sunday. It turned out to be a joining in ride where we added ourselves to.....a group of 50 vintage bikes! My bike fit in perfectly. She actually sort of stood out on her Hog.

Everytime I see someone approach my bike, I think they'll goof on it, and every time they say...."man....is that a DT? (the two stroke) I had one of those when I was a teenager!" I had the pleasure of riding beside a DT 400 yesterday, and I can see why they loved them. They are loud, fast, and go like stink! Old Crusty Harley guys with 30,000 dollar bikes will saunter up and stare at my bike. Then they say "Man, you gotta keep it just like that! You NEVER see old bikes like that anymore!" Nobody ever douches on my bike. They just get nostalgic. It's like having a puppy at a park.

Harley girl is never short of men that adore her, but she was out one night at a bar I go to to sing Karaoke like an imbecile with some of my friends and she was depressed that her boyfriend (the one she'd kept secret from me) had dumped her. I realized I was kind of over her, that all we shared was a love of riding and the ocean, and I felt sorry for her being so down after getting the boot. So I showed her the picture of my bike that I keep on my phone, and like a friend I patted her on the knee and I said to her:

"All you need is a bike and a beach. Remember that kid, and you'll be fine."

full

Sometimes I see her out riding and she waves. We have the friendship of people who have both loved and lost, and riding in the sun beside the sea heals all things, even a broken heart. Besides....If it weren't for her, I'd never have learned to ride.

yeah i enjoyed that story also. i wonder if mounitains can substitute for the sea.

and i also forgot to share an old trick when putting on grips. use spray paint. just a dot. it makes the bar slippery to slide it on easy then it dries and everybodys got a can around.

What do you write normally?

I might have to take you up on that offer some day drew, I'm in La a good amount with family in Pomona, la Puente and Pasadena. Inthefuture when the Xs is rock solid reliable, I'd love to do the PCH down your way.

I do know biking is HUGE there, you guys have the perfect weather after all

Thanks for the good feedback on the story guys. It's sort of like having a skill that I need to flex more often.

I still write fiction and when I'm not working my day job I write a funny animated show that I'm pitching to a network. My life outlook is funny but human. Sort of like The Office.

and Fubar: The Biker Wizard of the North is a lifelong mountain man. He's snowboarded all over New England, Coloroda, Oregon, and now works up in the Mountains of Washington. Molly's been up and down every Mountain in that state already! So the mountains are also all you need!

Last edited:
Great Story Drew, got me all dewy eyed!

must also add hair spray is what us Brits use for saggy grips :)

slides on easily but hard to get off

#swag Drecifer!! Im suprised the dues ex machina guys dont like yer bike? Dude she is classic! The sunset pic at the end off that "bogey-we'll always have Paris" story bro was spot on. Hehehe... Loved it!..Lates

Back