Front end rebuild time

Noodles

Noodles racing
Reaction score
So, I was out riding my 81' SH yesterday.
Which I have put about 900mi. Since I got it running with little more than a new batt.,new rubber, and a chain! Funny I figured a lot more would need to be done to get her flyin' but so far she has treated me pretty damb good!....ANYWAY..out of nowhere yesterday the front end felt squirrely, like kinda loose goosey, almost like it would go into speed wobble, tank slap, whatever you want to call it at high speeds. Scary as hell, I had it happen to me on a dirt bike a few times so violent it was slamming off the stops and sent me into a ditch. (Scotts steering damper solved that problem!) ANYWAY (can't stay on track today too much coffee!) SO..I stopped looked it all over and did all the rule of thumb checks and could not find anything significantly wrong. Aside from the fact that it's all 36yrs. Old with no proper maintenance...so I rode for a while more but just could not have fun on it anymore cuz that was stuck in my head, so I just cruised it back home. I hate to have to start tearing this thing apart mid summer, I would rather ride it till the cold sets in and start then, but I'm not sure she will make it that long!
I know the forks need to be rebuilt, I want to use a heavier fork oil, and find some good progressive springs that fit.
If anyone could save me the time, where can I find springs and what fits?, what weight oil should be used? Once I do start ripping into this bike you know I will post multiple progress threads to keep ya happy, so everyone can see and throw their :twocents: in!

So, what do I need to know to make the fork rebuild less painless and optimized for best function..

All that being said...WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE:
Screenshot_2017-07-03-08-18-34.png

I mean I sorta know what they are but do you think they would be worth it aside from just "looking cool"??
Thanks for letting me waste your time guys!-noodles

I know if you use the search there are a few posts about springs. I saw a few today as I was looking at threads trying to figure out oil.

I just put new seals in my forks and new oil. Not hard at all to tear these things apart at all. I figured run it stock and see how it works. If I need to mess with the springs later I will. Mine is a total basket case and building it from the ground up.

Back