Front Master Cylinder: Dust seal vs Snap ring

Under Dog

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I just reassembled my master cylinder tonight, but I'm finding different things in different sources. I could use a little help here.

The manual I was using described disassembling the piston from the master cylinder as removing the snap ring and then removing the dust seal. However, most of what I've seen on the forum here suggests reassembly is the snap ring first followed by the dust seal. Which is it?

I went with the manual and everything went back together really easily. The brake line even pressurized quickly and feels really solid right now. However, I'm wondering now if I've got it all assembled correctly or am asking for trouble down the road. To be clear, what I have is the dust seal on the piston and then the snap ring holding it all in place. Is that right?

Or should I have put the snap ring on first and then slid the dust seal in place? (But then what keeps the brake fluid from coming out?).

Thanks...

according to the yam manual;

install piston

install snap ring

firmly fit the boot in the grooves of the M/C and piston

Ok, I've gone back out, fixed it, and re-bled the brakes.

However, it looks like the dust seal got a little nicked up in the process. Do you think it's a problem if there is a slight nick/tear in the dust seal? Should I be overly concerned?

Back