Front sprocket

Alienation420

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Alright, my custom project is proving to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated!

My rear sprocket is from a lesser known brand, and I'm trying to find a matching sprocket. It is currently a 39t 428. I'm wondering if I can convert the drive sprocket on the motor to be a 428?

If not, I'll have to figure out how to change the rear to a 530!

Sounds good!

I haven't found anything when it comes to replacing the sprocket with a 428 though. I may have found a 530 rear sprocket that will work, but I'm going to wait until I have the actual motor to make the final decisions

Having a narrower chain for what? more tire clearance? Its recommended that you stick with a plain old roller chain.

The only reason being it seems to be easier to find a front 428 to match the 428 rear, rather than the other way around.

If you recommend sticking with the 530, then I could just get a blank 530 rear sprocket and have it custom milled to match my specs for the rear (center bore, bolt spacing)

Easiest would be to keep the stock setup. If all you have is the engine, the chain and sprocket should not even be a thought yet.. Theres an enduro/ dual purpose build on the XS400 homepage.

20200211_193756.jpg

The build is going already, hence why I'm ironing out details. I know I'll have to modify the frame slightly for exhaust ports to clear.
I got my hands on a full running xs400 with no regi, so everything I don't need will be going up for sale!

I would stick to a 530 or 520 chain. 428 would be very weak for this motor. This motor should put out around 38-40 hp if it's running correctly. Make sure your setup cam handle that.

That's Xschris! I found a site that makes custom aluminum sprockets, so I can get one made in 530 for the rear.

Last edited:
Problem with those type is they will wear very fast. Often use for race bikes, as they are changed after each race.

So would you suggest a steel sprocket then? Aluminum wouldn't be good for long term? I'm building this bike for a 5000km trip this summer, so I need it to last.

The only steel blank sprocket I could find was a 38t. Would that work with the stock 16 front?

Last edited:
I run a 17 front and 37 rear with a 120/90-16 rear wheel/tire and a 16-37 with a 110/90-18 rear wheel. That is a good overall setup for town and highway use xs400. Bot setups run the motor at the same rpm's. Yes steel is going to out last any aluminum sprocket.

My rear tire is a 140/70-18. I'm sure the motor has a 16t front, but I can confirm that on Saturday. As for rear blanks, I can't find anything smaller than a 38t. My goal is to have a good all around bike, but this summer I'll be doing more highway than anything. (5000 km trip coming up). Should I drop down 1 tooth on the front? I'll type it into gearing commander and see, but I would prefer real world experience from people!

Back