Fuel Petcock vacuum

domains

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys...

Just bought 1982 400 .... Is the Fuel Petcock vacuum needed? First time I ever saw one... does it work as a fuel pump?

Bikes bine sitting since 1984 need to clean tank and carbs and noticed this.

If you want to gas form it other than when it is set on prime you will need it. The vacuum pulls a diaphragm with a o-ring on the end to let the fuel flow.

Yes I know it should work as a pump but why place one on a gravity feed gas tank?

noticed on reserve it bypasses

I'm a mechanic but never saw this system... why place a fuel valve on a gravity feed motor.. only fathom i can grasp is to block float valves leak to bypass fill base with gas and ware rod bearings for noobs.

The vacuum petcock is not a pump of any type. All the vacuum does is pull a valve open so the gas can flow by gravity. The advantage over a manual petcock is that you have to remember to turn it on. The disadvantage is that they frequently leak and need to be rebuilt.

I'm a mechanic but never saw this system... why place a fuel valve on a gravity feed motor.. only fathom i can grasp is to block float valves leak to bypass fill base with gas and ware rod bearings for noobs.

That's exactly what it is for.

Back