Full Custom Work - Paint and more!

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I attended Lincoln Land Community College for Auto Body training and I'm currently there finishing up my degree in Auto Tech (mechanical repairs). I do custom work here in central Illinois. I don't normally do customer work. I mostly purchase, fix, and flip. When it comes to something as big as a car, customers can just be a pain, so I avoid it if I can. Biggest issue around here is rust, and people all too often expect it to be a cheap easy repair. That or they want a complete color change (which to do right you have to dismantle the complete vehicle) and don't understand why it'd cost thousands.

That said, I have been doing more and more customer work on motorcycles and I'm really enjoying it. I take delivery of the tins, do the work, and return them to a happy customer. Unless you are local, you'd have to ship me your tins. But really, we are not talking about a huge sum here.

I currently do mostly paint work. In the coming month or so I should be set up to do powder coating, too. And the big one I'm looking forward to starting soon is performance coatings (internal engine thermal barriers, anti-friction coatings, etc).

I have attached some pictures. Here you see a Harley Softail that I did some work on. It was originally red and had a small ding in the left side of the tank from being knocked over. The customer wanted to run the tank without the plastic center cover. Harley tanks have a factory weld/seam going down the middle of the tank. I smoothed out the weld, fixed the ding, primered, sealed, and painted the tins, then we hydro dipped them in camo.

I've also attached some pictures from a Grand Prix I worked on for a friend. It was her son's first car, so I cut them a huge break on the rust repair. As you can see, I fully replaced both rocker panels, as well as touched up some peeling paint.

The other Harley is my personal bike. I've done some powder coating (front wheel and front lower fork tubes). Doing more soon (rear wheel and parts of the engine and trans). I also got rid of the factory red and went with black covered with HOK candy red. It looks dead black, but in the sun you see a red glow. I also added a raked triple tree and longer tubes to push the front end out a little.

Harry Jennings

Evil Monkey Kustoms

Attachments

• Softail3.jpg
    Softail3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Softail4.jpg
    Softail4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 352
  • Softail8.jpg
    Softail8.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 376
  • Grand Prix 23.jpg
    Grand Prix 23.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 365
  • Grand PRix 24.jpg
    Grand PRix 24.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 364
  • BeforeAfter2.jpg
    BeforeAfter2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 366
  • BeforeAfter.jpg
    BeforeAfter.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 378
  • Grand Prix 26.jpg
    Grand Prix 26.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Grand Prix 2.jpg
    Grand Prix 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 338
  • Softail5.jpg
    Softail5.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 365
  • HDtank1.jpg
    HDtank1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 359
  • HDtank2.jpg
    HDtank2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Here is some work I did to a Dodge Durango. Nothing major. It had some rust coming through over the rear quarters, a cracked front bumper, and a few dings and dents. In these final pictures it hadn't been buffed yet.

Attachments

• Durango44.jpg
    Durango44.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 356
  • Durango43.jpg
    Durango43.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Durango22.jpg
    Durango22.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Durango18.jpg
    Durango18.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 373

Here is probably my favorite job yet. This work was on a 1976 Harley. Customer crashed it and one tank was completely caved in. In the first picture you can see what it looked like after about an hour of me working on it. The rest of the pictures show the color finally going on.

The top paint is a thermo reactive paint. At 84 degrees and below the top coat is black. When it hits 85 degrees the top coat turns clear revealing the colors below (which in this case is orange with black lettering).

The video link shows it better.

Attachments

• Shovel1.jpg
    Shovel1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Shovel2.jpg
    Shovel2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Shovel3.jpg
    Shovel3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 344
  • Shovel4.jpg
    Shovel4.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 351
Older model Dodge Dakota we played around with. Got the body straight (it had been tipped on it's side by the PO and had a lot of crappy body work), painted it flat red with flat black accents, then covered it in gloss clear (a unique look) and black pear mixed into the clear.

Attachments

• Durango31.jpg
    Durango31.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Dak5.jpg
    Dak5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Dak1.jpg
    Dak1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 346
  • DakDoorDent2.jpg
    DakDoorDent2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 370
  • DakDoorDent.jpg
    DakDoorDent.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Just some background on me.... I was a police officer for many years, I was an infantryman in the Army, went to law school, and now semi-retired and following my life long passion of custom work... anything with wheels. As stated before, I attended Lincoln Land Community College for Auto Body training and I'm currently there finishing up my degree in Auto Tech (mechanical repairs).

Even included a couple of my pics so you can put a face with the name.

Harry

Attachments

• HarryBeard.jpg
    HarryBeard.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Army2.jpg
    Army2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 352
  • HarryBeard2.jpg
    HarryBeard2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 360
  • EMK (2).jpg
    EMK (2).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/18mmfoundation

PS

Want to throw out a plug for a local charity I'm involved with. It is called the 18M&M Foundation and you can find it on Facebook. We host on heck of a cool poker run the last Saturday of every July. It starts at 11am with food, music, and a free bikini car wash and we usually head out on the run at 2pm. We return around 7ish and once we get back we hand out the money to the poker run winners, draw the 50/50 winners, and our "big" raffle winner. Oh and we also have a "rolling bike show" where everyone on the run votes for their favorite bike.

This year our "big" raffle is four 4-day Walt Disney World park hopper passes, a $500 Walt Disney World gift certificate good towards any WDW resort stay, and $1000 cash! The tickets and gift card do not expire, so you can used them at any time. You do NOT have to be present to win. Raffle tickets are $5ea and only selling 1500. 100 are being reserved for the day of the run.

The 18M&M Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity.

Attachments

• 18_M&M.jpg
    18_M&M.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 2010Virginia.jpg
    2010Virginia.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 370
Back