Full power once again

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I found my problem today finaly.I never given this a thought before since I changed to brand new plugs.

So today the bike is being a bitch to start.It starts once then dies then all it wants to do is backfire.Took the plugs out a couple of times,cleaned them dried them and checked the gap.Still no start.So Im glad I saved my old plugs cause I changed out the right side.Hit the start varoom.Blows out some blue smoke for minute with full RPM.Im like cool so I let the bike warm up a bit then took it out for a spin.Back to normal.Now I dont feel like Im riding a moped anymore just waiting for its power to come unleashed LOL.Im glad to have my bike back in true form.:thumbsup::bike:

Good work! We have all been caught assuming that new parts were good, and eliminating those parts from our troubleshooting process.

Just don't forget this lesson learned in the years to come!

Dave

Yeah when I took the plugs out I noticed the same plug was always wet and the other was dry.At first I thought it was wet from being flooded by trying to get the bike started.I had check this plug several times always wet.I thought something isnt right here.So I put the old plug in.
The bike backfires some still but Im pretty sure I need to adjust the valve lash or maybe the other plug.

It sounds like carbs that need a solid cleaning. Have you done this yet? if the bike is backfiring because of a lean condition, you can cause some real damage. Better to avoid riding it until it is in proper tune

Back