Fuses blowing

JBoyd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
may be a loaded question, but here goes nothing... keep in mind, im new to mechanics and wiring, so please bare with me
1f642.png
:)

bought a 78xs4002e this winter. didn't have headlamp or brake light. so i bought LED for both. the guy who had it before did some custom wiring to it. nothing drastic. just removed the cluster and put the ignition switch on the side and fuse holders instead of the stock fuse box.

two problems now. when i originally hooked up the brake light, it would brighten when pushing down on the rear brake. now, its just fully illuminated. not sure why?

second, the headlamp, the way i got it to finally work is hook up the hot wire from the ignition switch, a ground wire, and then hooked up to the "green" wire from the harness. would start fine, and even took it out for about 2.5 hours the other day.

fired it up this morning, and died about 30 seconds later. now it keeps blowing fuses and i cant get it going. been trying to read a ton of info out there, and i keep seeing something about diodes between the lights and the relay... am i onto something? wondering if i possibly fried my relay? just throwing out things that are coming to mind.

any thoughts? ideas? i wanna ride!!! thanks in advance.

Back