Gas delivered only to one carb

Richmond

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I have had my bike down for a little while doing rear end fab work and i put the tank back on a hooked up a battery and it started right up.. Idled nicely, revved well without much hesitation BUT then i walked around the bike felt that the left side was putting out way more pressure than the right so i felt the headers and the left was way hot and the right side was room temp. I am getting spark to both sides, and obviously the left side is getting gas so i took off the float bowl of the right side and it has no gas in it.

The gas on my carbs get fed just right from the tank to the left carburetor through a banjo bolt. Then in between the two carbs there is a connecting piece of fuel line that is supposed to deliver the fuel to the right carburetor. I cleaned both of the carbs completely to the last piece... lemon juice, thinners, and soda blasting.

The passage between the two carbs is pretty big compared to the rest of the passages so I was wondering what could make it discontinuous? if my float height of the left carb wasn't high enough would it then cut off the gas before it could reach the height of the connecting fuel line?

I would look at your right carb's float needle. It's more likely that one's stuck than that that big passage is blocked. Then again, nothing is impossible..

not much to it, you open your carbs and it should be in there. Check a parts diagram to make sure it's not upside down. Other than that make sure it can move freely and the tab on the float assembly is able to move it up and down.

Look in the manual, for float check. Check both, compare with each other, otherwise keep your eye open. There appears to be two open threads for carb tuning. Both have pics with diagram.

Back