gas in my oil !!!!!

codyxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
i went out to start my bike and found there was gas in my oil ive herd the problem could be bad piston rings or bad float or even a bad needle i dont know what to do or check first could someone give me some help

Usually not rings, so put that out of your mind. First question- is your petcock shutting off fuel flow? If not gas can leak past the needle over time even if it is working right. If it's not the petcock, pull the carbs off and check the float bowl. Are the needle and seat clean? Are they worn? Is the float full of gas? Is the float adjusted properly? With the carbs upside down and the tang of the float just touching the end of the needle, the measurement from the float bowl mating surface to the top of the float should be 26-27mm if you have round brass floats. If you have plastic floats, you need to use the clear hose method to set the level and I'll leave the instructions to someone else.

You can take the bowl drain plug out of a bowl and see if gas continues to flow with the bike off (assuming the petcock is not on PRI) or take the fuel line off of the carb body and see if fuel flows.

Pull the fuel line from the carbs. In the "RES" and "Norm" position there should be no fuel flow. Fuel should flow freely only in the "prime" position with the engine not running.

Petcock rebuild kit - but I think you should buy a new needle/seat and/or carb rebuild kit while you are buying parts. They are cheap (like 11 bucks from mikesxs)

If your floats are adjusted correctly, and all the parts were in good shape, then even with petcock on prime, you shouldn't be getting gas in the crank case. The needle valve stops the float bowls from over filling - that is what they do. The fact that you are getting gas in your crank case means that the bowls overfill, seep back into your air filters and through your breather into the crank case.

Back