Gas very slowwwwwwly leaking from carb banjo bolt and 1 other area

armyofda12mnkeys

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I could have sworn I cleaned and setup my carbs perfectly this winter (no leaks last year).
I put them on and noticed one small drip of gas on the bottom float drain bowl screw.
Like maybe 1 to 3 droplets of carb leak overnight I'm guessing.
I disconnected my tank as well to rule out that the petcock wasn't faulty and allowing more gas into carb but still have the leak.

I assumed it was from the drain screw/bad washer there so I tightened both drain screws (part #21). But then looking at it again today it seems to be coming from the banjo bolt (part #47) where the metal part attached to it gets the gas line.
After wiping away gas in that area, I can veryyyyy slowly see that gas/gas vapor is slowly creeping 'up' after maybe 5 seconds (like i see wet gas on the TOP of the part that the fuel line attaches to, aka part #46 in the pic.... Its hard to explain but it feels like almost some gas vapor too since its moving 'upwards' from the outer banjo-bolt washer area upwards on #46).

Whats more likely:
one (or both) of the 2 washers on that banjo bolt are 'bad' and need to be replaced?
or
the float height was set wrong, and gas is sitting up way too high and therefore wanting to escape.

I think gas is also leaking slowly from one of the float drain bowl screws (part #23) too (or maybe because the gas is so high, its leaking 'though' the drain bowl gasket as well?). Either way I took the carbs off and tightened all 8 float bowl screws to no avail (still leaking).

Thanks for any advice guys!,
-Arian

CARBURETOR.png

Last edited:
Those washers can be fixed by putting a fine piece of sand paper on a hard flat surface and rubbing them smooth. I would also check you float height and replace the bowl gaskets if they leak.

hey xschris,
Checked the floats. they were good at a perfect 26mm. Gaskets are new and fine.
I guess it could be in combo with the washers... I am getting some new ones soon (and try that sandpaper trick too). Maybe one other reason is below:

This part #46 below also looked like it was leaking the vapor from certain slight chips/openings at the edges (7pm and 9pm in the pic below)... which i didn't think much of earlier (maybe the washers didn't have good contact on top of the non-cracked flat portions of that part and didn't seal either?).
I put in a new one from another carb and it seems to have worked (immediately was leaking when i put the carb back on, then replaced #46 with the other one and now no leaks). I'm curious, where can I get this #46 part if I wanted a backup or 2?
The chipped one that I replaced had a nice angle going outwards, that avoids hitting my petcock at a certain angle (my fuel-line is optimally at that angle). The new one isn't angled which isn't great but at least works currently.

14642458216_f3bddff37f_k.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like its called a 'Fuel/pipe Inlet'... see a couple old ones on ebay (one of them looks like its in worse condition and other is $37).
Any new ones I can get elsewhere (MikeXS didn't seem to have it)?

These press-in ones seem to get rid of the Banjo Bolt and not sure how they would stay in without that bolt (so guess they are for another type of Mikuni carb?):
http://shop.pwcxtreme.com/MIKUNI-90-DEGREE-FUEL-INLET-FITTING-PRESS-IN-DF44-2-70.htm

Last edited:
I have a few of them:laugh: I can sell you one that has been soda blasted and is in great shape for $12 shipped:)

Attachments

• DSC02614.jpg
    DSC02614.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC02615.jpg
    DSC02615.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02616.jpg
    DSC02616.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 152
Second one.

Attachments

• DSC02617.jpg
    DSC02617.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC02618.jpg
    DSC02618.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 123
A new part is not a bad idea. But if yours isn't cracked or damaged you should be able to renew the sealing surfaces. Same way as Chris suggests for the sealing washers. Just be sure to hold them completely flat and use 600 to 900 wet or dry paper on a flat hard surface and a lite touch to polish them up. Also turn the part a little with each pass to avoid linear marks kind of like a cross hatch pattern. This is one of the things I do at my job.

Back