Gasket or Goo...???

minkey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Got an '82 XS400 Special here in the UK
Just about got all the paint done on my engine and getting ready to build it back up.
I can't find a cam cover gasket over here or Europe. Does it have one or is a job for liquid gasket?

Cheers all

Threebond can be used but stuff made for these type of applications should be used.

It needs to be very thin like those, RTV is too thick and will squeeze out to block oil passages. The stuff needs to be thin because you are setting up cam journal clearances when that cover goes on, a gasket would let cam flop around loose to mess up set valves.

Yeah that was on my mind...

Looks like yamabond is fairly easy to get here
Just not heard of it before, but then this is my first Yam so...

It needs to be very thin like those, RTV is too thick and will squeeze out to block oil passages. The stuff needs to be thin because you are setting up cam journal clearances when that cover goes on, a gasket would let cam flop around loose to mess up set valves.

On our Hondas that do that I've even heard of master engine builders slightly thinning the 3 bond compound to make it even thinner to not mess up bearing settings in crankcases. Same stuff on Honda is Hondabond, haven't a clue who the third one is.

Back