Gramatron's Build

I have and use a 120v flux core welder. I used it to weld my rear hoop on. I will say it seems as though it is trickier than using gas, but its not once you know how to use it. Those welds look like its too cold and the metal is not prepped right. It will crack off very soon.

Ive also found out that if you are using a cheap extension cord going to the welder, the power is degraded from the draw of the cord. Unless you have a serious heavy duty extension cord, its better to be as close to the power outlet as possible.

My hoop welds flowed like butter with my flux core.

However, I made a mock up of my seat pan because I want to make another seat and have a spot for electronics, I decided to use aluminum sheet metal and good old fashioned rivets. But the finished product may also include wood and fiberglass and maybe no metal at all..

Thanks for the input mike. I've been doing little to no surface prep so I could improve there. The other annoying thing is spatter. So I need to order anti spatter spray. Unfortunately neither home depot nor the local small biz shops have much for welding supply.

Killjoy I'll have to remember to hit you up! It's been 10 months since and I'm coming along but I think I'll follow up with the doc about my hardware.

As for now I've got 7 of 10 colors of 14 gauge strand type primary wire and a blade type fuse box. But I need the whole set to get started.
Looking for
Orange
Light Blue &
Red w/ white stripe

If anyone knows where I can find these colors in under 100 feet you'd be really helpful!

Last edited:
The spatter will go away when you prep the surface better. Put your machine on a lower volt setting, since its very thin sheet metal. Put your feed in the middle and let the wire flow and fill up the weld area. Once you get it right, you will be able to see how the metal flows and pools and you will start seeing a nicer bead.

If you check out Miller or Lincolns website, they should have a guide for machine settings for what material youre welding.

I actually just found a pic from when i did my hoop ill upload it later.

Im pretty sure i used some sand paper/scotch brite, then mineral spirits and dentaured alcohol for surface prep.

Also, just a quick heads up, welding with flux-core requires the polarity of the welder reversed. Quickly done of course but a step I've forgotten to do a few times when I rushed (I think it's DC electrode negative versus positive) better penetration and much less spatter...

I have a flux core welder as well. Splatter is going to happen no matter what. But like the guys are saying, Prep! I have a wire wheel on a grinder and a sanding disk on a second grinder. Make a pass, wire wheel, sand if require and another pass. I made an electronics box for my 650. I started wedling from the inside but I can't get my grinder wheels in the corners. So instead i worked on the out side. It tool a while but I am happy... for now lol. Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• 20180408_095730.jpg
    20180408_095730.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 20180407_151108.jpg
    20180407_151108.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 345
  • 20180408_203709.jpg
    20180408_203709.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 316
Back