Greetings and Salutations

Bondiboy66

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just found this forum recently as (naturally) I have an interest in the XS Yamahas. My first roadbike was an XS250 many years ago - I was given it by a mate. With little mechanical knowledge and a Haynes manual I made it go, and in the meantime bought another XS250 that wa about 95% there for spares. I rode it around for a little bit and then decided I better register the thing...at which point the engine locked up and ceased functioning. Oh well, I swapped the engine out of the spare bike, as well as swapping the seat, tank and some other bits. I also discovered the first bike had points ignition, the second had electronic...which meant a complete change of wiring loom and ignition bits. Taught me a lot that did! Rode it around for about 2 years then (like a fool) sold it.

Some years later I find myself on the lookout for a new project - I have owned a range of shitty motorbikes over the years, but now have a hankering for another XS250/400 to give the cafe racer treatment. I started to do this to a Honda CB250 last year, but found myself utterly broke and so passed that one on to another bloke...now finances are better so I want to have another go. I settled on the XS as a basis as I have experience with the breed, and because here in Australia any other candidates such as SR Yamahas are ridiculously overpriced thanks to the effects of Deus Ex Machina making stupidly expensive cafe racers out of SRs.

Anyway, as the name implies I'm located in Bondi, a seaside suburb of Sydney Australia. Naturally, any info leading to me purchasing/aquiring a project XS would be greatly appreciated!

Hi. Welcome to the Forum - from the big colony NORTH of the equator.
I am partial to the xs400 Maxim myself. Red is the best colour and most seem to agree, '83 is the best year.
But it sounds like your 250 was more similar to the sohc 400 than to the dohc if it had breaker points. In Europe they had an xs250 DOHC. Any of those down under?

Yes we got both here. My XS250 was the SOHC model incidentally. Also, the one I rode had disk brakes front and back, the donor bike was disk/drum brakes.

welcome Boniboy, you'll be having fun with the project. hurry up though as these bikes are now getting very popular everywhere and prices are starting to rise.

Back