Greetings XS lovers

US82XS

'82 Seca 400 restorer
Reaction score
Hello there! A few months back, I acquired a 1982 XS400 (RJ/RK? - DOHC and single mono-shock rear suspension). It had been sitting, uncovered, under a garage overhang in someone's backyard for 3-4 years.

Aside from some faded plastic bits and cobwebs, and a bit of rust in the usual vulnerable places, this XS would eventually turn over, start, and run raggedly (though the brakes were gone and the PO didn't even have the decency to store it on its center stand so the flat spot on the rear tire made that first run around the block VERY INTERESTING). With the PO selling it for $75, I determined that this was a bargain opportunity not to be missed.

Before I found this lovely community I did the things I know how to do: I checked compression. I CLEANED CLEANED AND CLEANED the carbs. I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, the brake pads/shoes/fluid, the final drive and rear sprockets, chain, and the back tire. The result: the bike will start easy enough and will run well with the enricher/choke engaged. But it has serious trouble idling and there is odd revving in between gears (the clutch is fine so this must be a carb or top-end issue). Otherwise, you can hear it missing while it runs and there is some occasional backfiring out the exhaust - neighbors love that.

I removed (and cleaned) carbs again and found the idles adjusted factory-lean (as the old plugs indicated) so I spun those out to 3.5 turns out inline with the suggestions in this forum. Perhaps it was the second carb removal that did it but the #2 intake boot was cracked so I'll probably just replace the factory airbox with pods and rejet accordingly.

The throttle butterflies were visibly out of alignment so balancing the carbs will be next. And I suppose I'll check the timing and the valves, too. Unless any of you old hands have some better ideas. :shrug:

I think this is a bike that wants to ride and I'm very close to making it happy again. I'll post an update and some pics when its running and looking a little more like a proper motorcycle. My other project is an '86 Suzuki GSX-R750 rat racer that is not so far along as this fun little guy.

Since my mechanical knowledge and skills are wanting, I'm very glad to have found XS400.com! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

boyspics.jpg

Update: the new #45/#145 jets had the bike idling and running much smoother but still too lean with the new pods so I have a few larger sizes on the way. The slide needles on my BS34s are not adjustable so I have a couple of those coming, too. :)

These pics were taken a few weeks back. I have since shined up the pipes much more after removing them to take out the factory air box. They look really sweet now; best part of the bike aside from the still-shiny gas tank. The intake is the only mod I plan to make to this bike. I'll take better pictures soon.

When I work out what jet sizes work best with my stock pipes and EMGO pods, I will update again. Cheers and happy XSing, friends!

Attachments

• IMAG0886.jpg
    IMAG0886.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMAG0887.jpg
    IMAG0887.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 359
  • IMAG0888.jpg
    IMAG0888.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMAG0889.jpg
    IMAG0889.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 339
  • IMAG0890.jpg
    IMAG0890.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 357
@ThePseudoMonkey, it is the stock for the model year. I'm willing to bet that it would fit fine on older XS400s if you can find one. @OleDoc, I remember seeing that about the washers somewhere but the new needles are already on the way. Maybe I'll use washers with the old needles since they're fine and I may need to return the new needles to get still larger jets if the ones on the way still won't make the mixture rich enough.

The needle adjustment is for your mid-range operation like 1/4-3/4 throttle. If you have a flat stop in this area you will have to raise the needle.

Chris, I did with the last, lean carb iteration. I'll be doing it again with the newest carb build. Richer needles and re-synced carbs ought to solve that pulling problem. I'll find out tomorrow.

Well, it's better but I'm not sure if it's there yet. I may need to move up to the #150 main jets and another clip position for the slide needles but a little more riding should answer that question for me. The plugs seemed to be blueing up after a 35 mile ride that covered the entire rev range.

On another note, I've got an awfully loud clattering sound coming from the head. I can't remember what that indicates. I know I still need to do that valve adjustment...

On still another note, I seem to have a false neutral showing up between shifts. I believe that indicates the need for a clutch adjustment and, failing that, new clutch discs.

Your noise could be cam chain and or valves. I would address this asap. Could be your issue not the carbs.

I know you're right Chris but I am so sad to have to get into the head. It's way over mine with my limited mechanical prowess. The manual on the subject of cams may as well be in Mandarin. Time to call in reinforcements, I guess.

If you don't feel you can do it then take it to those who can. Just so you can ride and not have to worry about breaking anything. Those dohc bikes are a little more involved than the sohc ones.

My front brake is caputo. Needs new pads and a caliper rebuild based on dragging and the oil leaking onto the disk. Does anyone know which rebuild kit to get for this '82 RJ? Partsnmore and MikesXS don't advertise any that will fit for sure (The OEM part number references to the 650 caliper parts are different from those OEM part numbers for the 400's caliper parts). I'm thinking that mikesxs part number 29-0016 is the one that everyone says will work on the 400s but I'm not sure if that includes the RJ/RK. I appreciate any direction. Thanks and cheers!

Last edited:
The needle adjustment is for your mid-range operation like 1/4-3/4 throttle. If you have a flat stop in this area you will have to raise the needle.

There's noticeable bogging down in the mid range that smooths out as the revs increase with fuel flow from the main jet. Isn't that a sign that I need to lean/lower the needle a bit?

If you have a dead spot in the mids you will need to raise the needle if it still is set in the stock position. This will make it richer. If you have already moved it up you will need to go the other way, you said it was fine in the mid just after 7200 it had issues.

Back