handlebar bushing replacement

crismt_y81

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie ..working on my newly bought 81 xs400 specialII..i notice that the handlebar bushing is mushy??..and i was researching if there is a thread on it already?

i need help on what bushing to replace and if there is a tool to get it done, DIY???

thanks a bunch!!!

Cris

Should only need a wrench to remove the nut and maybe a pair of needle nose pliars to remove the pin if yours still has them...

Try tightening the nuts, that may take up some of the slack and tighten them up as well...

eric,

its the 4 bolts are tight on the top. thing is i can move the handlebars a bit up/down. im guessing that the bushing are still original And not replaced. it still has the pin...

time for a replacement???

Last edited:
Just use a washer over the bushings. The bushings are no longer around and very hard to find new.

I used fender washers found at my local hard ware store. They are the same size that are on there now. Just measure the ones you have.

The handlebar bushings on my '76 XS360 were loose and the handlebars were wobbly.

I took someone else's advice and boiled mine for a few minutes to heat them up and then soaked them in ArmorAll overnight. They swelled up and were nice and tight when I put them on. No idea how long that will last.

Back