Hard breaking question

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished up putting a new front tire on my bike (still waiting for the rear since it wasn't in stock) and after starting the bike cold and riding it maybe a mile total when I slammed on the breaks to test out the new front my maxim sputtered and died. That's never happened before but the bike is stopping a lot faster as well. Maybe it's just because it's cold? The clutch is new and adjusted properly so it's not hanging up. Just wondering if it's nothing to really worry about since it never did that before but I've never slammed on the brakes when the motor was cold, only to test my skill after the bike has been hot. I'll have to wait until my rear tire comes in (found a nail on the existing and they were 8years old :eek:) and go out and do another test to see if I can repeat it.

Since you mentioned that it was cold during this event and the bike uses a wet clutch the sudden abrupt stop could have caused the thick oil in the engine that had yet to be warmed up to the proper viscosity and stall the engine.

Back