Hard Starting and Bad Engine Noise

allanrps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My bike had been misfiring and generally riding quite rough, so I decided to try to dial in the ignition timing. After setting my ignition timing statically, which in my specific situation led to concerns about having slightly bent a valve from sticking stuff down the spark plug hole, I tried starting the bike. I couldn't get it start without some starter fluid, and when it did start I was hearing a pretty loud clicking noise coming from what I remember to be the right cylinder. After a long busy spell where I couldn't work on it, I finally got the engine out yesterday and took a look at the valves, just to find that everything looked perfectly fine. I'm pretty baffled as I don't know what else could be the problem. Here's a video of the bike running, in which you can kind of hear the problem, and pictures of the valves. Thanks for the help!

Video
5FD-4qAC0z7z-HdybTvzcl22Jm9jLzYyqc06OEhZwQNr4kDWoWzw-QVC0MJCbP0MDQbEp8zVKyg=w1342-h537

DWsg3YtqMFYlOYHJHMlezvqGcIR-FTbzaSBrB5PNeHXbGAlrmlhf_3GGz0cASzXO4Et69xUjkqY=w1342-h537

sounds like a dry top end, you got oil splashing around in there?
open a valve cover and it should generally spray around

The top end was dripping wet when I took it off, so I don't think that's the issue. I forgot to add that I checked the valve clearances multiple times. Thanks for the help!

Sound like the valve lashes are off. Make sure you set them in the proper order and don't let the crank move backwards while moving it to TDC.

Sound like the valve lashes are off. Make sure you set them in the proper order and don't let the crank move backwards while moving it to TDC.

I have to lock my crank using a 5L container under the wrench. takes a while to set up

In my ignorance I did not realize that setting the valve lash is the same as setting the valve gap, I thought lash was at the cam. I did already set the gap multiple times, making sure the valve was in top position, but it is possible I messed that up. It is also possible that I might have set my ignition timing inaccurately as I am not using the stock flywheel, and perhaps that could exasperate the issue. I'll just toss the thing together, gap the valves again, and hope all is well.

Back