Has anyone fit a different tank to the 400 frame?

SteveK

Steve
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So before I start doing anything to my new 400 I wanted to investigate any option that would keep my from hammering knee dents in the original tank, since it's in such good condition.

I know that the XS models vary greatly between each other and between each year, making swapping out certain parts very difficult. Has anyone here found a tank that would fit onto a 400D frame without (or even with) modification?

I just want to explore all my options and maybe come out with a tank with more fuel capacity.

Thanks,
Steve

well i did a sportster tank from an 80s harley and just drilled one mount hole in the frame up front but it depends on the look ur trying to go for weather is a bobber cafe or rat

That's cool to hear, Sportster tanks look great. Do you have any pics of it that I can check out?

I'd like to go for the cafe look... So if I find that another XS tank will fit, I'd want to knock some knee dents into it.

I also saw somewhere that there is a possibility that an RD400 tank will fit (with some cursing and grunting of course) which would be awesome considering that already has knee dents and its almost 2gal larger.

i used a sporty tank also, if you get one with a deep enough tunnel, it will rest right against the frame rails. heres a pic. and i know drewpy used an RD or DT tank on his tracker.

heres mine
IMGP2834.jpg

wish the tunnel was deeper, but for 20 bones, i couldnt pass it up

Last edited:
Wow, awesome looking bike volcom. Great job. You've given me a hell of a lot of encouragement to give it a try. Thanks.

Hopefully drewpy sees this thread. I'll PM him and ask if not.

Try the search option on the forum, there is already various threads with discussion about alternate tanks and the pro's and con's of the different ones. Drew had a custom tank built for his tracker that would fit a BMW remote master cylinder underneath for the front brake.

If you are after a cafe look (you mentioned hammering knee dents) try the squarer XS400 tank that came on the European models. This has a pretty good cafe look and no problems with fitment (hopefully...).

i used a sporty tank also, if you get one with a deep enough tunnel, it will rest right against the frame rails. heres a pic. and i know drewpy used an RD or DT tank on his tracker.

heres mine
IMGP2834.jpg

Posted via Mobile

heres mine
IMGP2834.jpg

That's the Same way I did my tank and handlebars too I'll have to grab some pics of mine but how do I post them

Posted via Mobile

That's cool to hear, Sportster tanks look great. Do you have any pics of it that I can check out?

I'd like to go for the cafe look... So if I find that another XS tank will fit, I'd want to knock some knee dents into it.

I also saw somewhere that there is a possibility that an RD400 tank will fit (with some cursing and grunting of course) which would be awesome considering that already has knee dents and its almost 2gal larger.

I saw a couple of xs400 square tanks on ebay this morning for $40-$50.

Wow, awesome looking bike volcom. Great job. You've given me a hell of a lot of encouragement to give it a try. Thanks.

Hopefully drewpy sees this thread. I'll PM him and ask if not.

I tried the dt 175 tank as an option but it didn't fit without serious mods. I went with a bespoke tank like Cad mentioned

I saw a couple of xs400 square tanks on ebay this morning for $40-$50.

You sure? The only square ones I've seen the past few days are $150ish, but they are local to me so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping, but would pay sales tax.

How about an old Benelli tank?

Attachments

• 5T05U35R63kd3m43ofbb19ade023dfd3315af.jpg
    5T05U35R63kd3m43ofbb19ade023dfd3315af.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 464
Here's one thing that doesn't work:
I tried to fit a Royal Enfield tank to my '81 XS400 but that tunnel is way too narrow for the frame. :doh: I didn't want to perch that big fat bubble up above the backbones so I abandoned that idea and went with Yamaha factory tank minus insignia and those holes filled and faired.

Just remember there's a difference between a "Sportster" tank and a "Sportster Style" tank. Volcoms has the bung at the rear right side, which will work with the stockish frame with the 3 upper bars. The one I have is a real 91 Harley Sportster Tank, which has the large petcock on the bottom left side of the tank. It wouldn't fit without completely removing the left upper bar. I think the real Harley tanks do differ by year, so do some research before you buy.

as for that bung, i put it there. thats not stock. i nabbed a stock harley tank for cheap and the petcock placement is troublesome. i gotta notch the right hand support rail for it to sit straight.

DSC00042.jpg

Back