Has anyone used a rear wheel as a front?

S3Rider

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a little off the beaten path. I am running Mags on a 1981 xs400. I would ideally like to have a set of wire rims front and back with drum brakes. Dont need this to be a true performer, I have my Speed Triple for that. I want a drum brake up front and my cheap thought is to get a rear drum brake equipped Mag and put it up front. That and I like the look of the fat tire front choppers.

Any Ideas if it will work?

I believe the axle size is different for front and rear wheels (15mm front and 17mm rear?) so you can't just throw a rear wheel on there. I could be wrong though, I'm new to this motorcycling stuff.

I want to see if a rear mag wheel with drum brakes will work as a front wheel. That's the gist of it.

you could make it work, you'll only have single leading shoe on the brakes which is very dire. (as opposed to TLS on standard)

work out your spacing and make new spacers along with the tie bar to stop the drum rotating. then you need to think about the sprocket carrier, are you going to turn it down? it will look shite other wise!

I dont have the equipment to lathe the sprocket side down. Im sure I would try to make it look as clean as I could. Thanks Drewpy for the info.

Can you explain the braking stuff a little more.

I dont have the equipment to lathe the sprocket side down. Im sure I would try to make it look as clean as I could. Thanks Drewpy for the info.

Can you explain the braking stuff a little more.

what do you mean?

what your proposing to do is essential to your well being and I'm a little concerned if you don't know the different between TLS and SLS brake systems. there will be dynamics involved with torque reaction upon braking and failure will result in severe injury and poss death!

I'd go for the 2E models which already have SLS brake systems and as you have intimated, wires wheels. just need to lower fork legs to stop the drum plate rotating. :thumbsup:

TLS (Twin Leading Shoe) also know as Double Leading Shoe uses two pivot points to push brake shoes against the drum improves braking power over a SLS (Single Leading Shoe) one push point cheap, reliable, but not the best braking power

The front shoes are larger than the rear shoes. Bikebandit is the only place that seems to have the front shoes (EBC, not oem) in stock last time I checked. You can also cross reference some oem part numbers for more options.

Back