having trouble firing up

ok, granted, the motor has been sitting for a while. but ive redone pretty much everything. now im down to the last part and i wired everything up, for kick only. i have checked the battery, and its fine. but i got to kick it over, and its turning over but its just isnt quiiieeeet getting there to fire up. its very close. also, new oil and new gas... so i was just curious if anybody else had this problem? or if this sounds like a pretty familiar scenario to anybody? and as to what may be the problem... new starter solenoid also...thanks.

Matt666- I got the email that you sent me in regards to your firing up issue. I finally got mine going. I cleaned out the carbs 4 times so there was no way that it could be that....wrong! If you have checked everything then check the carbs again. Mine would run only if I used starting fluid and then only at 1/2 throttle. It ended up being a dual issue. If you cannot blow carb cleaner through the orifice in the bottom of the bowl, this is your issue. This is a major part of the starting circuit needing to draw fuel from the bowl up through the choke for low rpm running speeds. This has to be completely free of obstruction and is the size of a pin or smaller. Mine was completely clogged with varnish even when I thought that it was clean. The other thing is to make sure you are firing at the correct time according to the timing marks.

someone should take ad space out on the top of this site with this quote.

It's the motto by which I live. This is why I have always said that if you do not not personally and physically SEE a strong stream of carb cleaner spray though EVERY passage and exit EVERY orifice, you do not know that your carbs are clean.

My FIVE cleanings before I could get my bike to run right testify that I know what I am talking about.

For reference:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64401&postcount=17

Use compressed air (125-150 psi) after cleaning and that will truly clear all passages. :wink2: I don't use any liquid solvents to clean any of my carbs just baking soda blasting.

I also got my bike running:). Unfortunately it was only for about a minute an only the left cylinder:wtf: any ideas

Have you sprayed some starter fluid down the throats to see if it will fire up?

Yes I have. It will fire right up for a couple seconds then dies with an urgency

I would like to say it's not my carbs only cuz aim not comfortable enough to work on them. Can anyone direct me to a good thread on cleaning carb ?

Back