Head and turn light

Roykimsw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Roy. I just bought 1980 XS400G last week. I've started rebuilt and fix. But there is few problems, so if you guys give me advice that will be awesome!!!

My bike left front and back turn signal are working also plate, brake, all the odometer bulb(neutral, oil, turn signal indicator) are working fine. However, head light and right turn signal lights aren't working. Today I tried to find the problem but I couldn't figure it out. Bulbs and switch seem fine. Even I found more problems... I will attatch some picture that are I found today. Plz give some idea!

Ps. In the pic that relay I don't know what relay it is and where it is from... But I assume previous owner told me that relay came from that socket(in the pic). I found one disconnect wire( white).
I was wondering all those problem could make head and turn light aren't working??

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20160728_164521.jpg
    20160728_164521.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 204
  • 20160728_164508.jpg
    20160728_164508.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20160728_164451.jpg
    20160728_164451.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_2016-07-21-16-35-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-21-16-35-22.png
    583 KB · Views: 227
Does the bike run?
That's the headlight relay. It keeps the headlight off unless the bike is running.
If it's not in or not wired correctly the headlight will never come on.

If one side's flashers are working but the other isn't you've narrowed the problem down somewhat. Following a wiring diagram the problem would be after the flasher relay in the circuit.
Either wires are not connected properly, connections are corroded, or the handlebar switch is not making contact when moved to the right.
You said the switch is good. If that's the case I'd be following the wires from there to the right flashers.

The wiring harness looks custom....
No way to know whether the stock wiring diagram was followed.

Thanks for help me out! I will try to find the problem tomorrow again. Yes, bike is running totaly fine! But I put that relay back to the socket. Headlight still doesn't work.. I assume relay or socket don't work.

I had trouble with my turn signal switch. All looked well but when I took the switch totally apart there was 1 wire that was broken off it's solder joint. I'm NO electrician and when it comes to these tiny things but with patience & a steady hand I was able to resolder the wires & it has been working since. I would check each connection right down to the actual switches.

Hello guys, thank you for all of you guys advice!!
I got quick question. Is disconnected white line could make the problem of head light? Because according with manual wiring diagram the white wire is coming from ac generator and it seems broken diode( plz check the pic!) to me. If I have to change that diode do you guys know about any spec for diode?
Also if that has been disconnected from AC generator why my bike is running fine?

Attachments

• 20160728_164508.jpg
    20160728_164508.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 20160729_171206.jpg
    20160729_171206.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 195
The white wire is what initially triggers that relay. Without it, no relay activation and no headlight.
Any standard diode capable of 12V and 1A will work.
They suggest a 1N4001 in this thread: http://www.xs400.com/threads/yet-another-charging-issue.13139/page-2#post-140790
I was about to say "it's available at Radioshack" but you're in Vancouver and there hasn't been a legit Radioshack up north here in years....

Depending on where you are over there I'd bet Interior Electronics would have them or an equivalent diode: http://shop.interiorelectronics.com/category-s/1993.htm

The only function of that white wire is to activate the relay. It has no part in the charging system or any other part of the bike.

Oh I got it!! Really thanks for answer my qurestion. But I was thiking Is 1n4101 working for that diode? What I was thinking if head lamp needs 35w that diode will be installed as 12V and 3A. Since It needs 2.92A. If you have an idea let me know! Thanks

That's good thinking but not necessary. The power through the diode only has to activate the relay. Once activated the relay feeds itself from the headlight circuit. Current draw through the diode probably wouldn't go down to zero but I imagine it'd be reduced after the initial activation.

It doesn't actually power the headlight.

Back