Header pipes, pipe inside pipe? 80 XS400

Stevo

StevO
Reaction score
After removing the headers, I cut off the stock welded on mufflers, I would like to get some Shorty Slash 16" mufflers... I noticed after cutting of the stock mufflers, the header pipe has an internal pipe, I am assuming the outer is for less heat damage and looks, can i keep going and slip the new mufflers over the header pipes, diameter would be fine i think..but this inside header pipe is just rattling around in there? Am i missing something stupid?

Just an FYI I plan on heat wrapping the header pipes.....

Thanks all,
Stevo

Maybe you didnt cut far enough and got some of the baffle from the mufflers??? Just a guess. When i swapped mufflers I did not notice an inner pipe.

Okay thanks. Ya weird the inner pipe goes almost to top of header just a couple inches down, i can see it in there, nothing really holding it from kind of rattling a bit now that's been cut off from the muffler.

Stevo

dont know if you addressed the problem yet stevo but when i cut mine i noticed the same thing and just welded it up anyways. it worked out fine. shitty to weld on though because of the chrome and thin wall.

make sure you weld that with some ventilation cause its got zinc in there and your liable to get the zinc chills

Thanks Fubar, that's what i figure all do, and thanks for the tip!

WOW talk about lessons on my first conversion...ahhhhh be much easier next time...well a little.... wiring still has me scared to death :)

Stevo

yeah its usually from welding galvanized and inhaling that white smoke, put you in the hospital with a bad fever and poisoning. also never weld on brake cleaner. you inhale that and your dead in 24 hrs

Back