Headers question

Xslickcafe81

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I need some new head pipes for my 81 and was wondering
If ones for the 650 will fit or does anyone know where to
Get some 400 ones without breaking the bank. I don't want
To go with the Mac b/c I want the 2-2 look.

My stock pipes are "OK" but the mufflers were shot. The only problem was mine were
Welded together, so I cut the mufflers off. The pipes have another pipe inside them,
My guess was to prevent blueing. Can I just get an aftermarket muffler set and clamp
Them on? My goal is to have twin pipes wrapped in black heat wrap and 2 reverse cone
(upswept if possible) mufflers.

My stock pipes are "OK" but the mufflers were shot. The only problem was mine were
Welded together, so I cut the mufflers off. The pipes have another pipe inside them,
My guess was to prevent blueing. Can I just get an aftermarket muffler set and clamp
Them on? My goal is to have twin pipes wrapped in black heat wrap and 2 reverse cone
(upswept if possible) mufflers.

I had the same problem, the mufflers were welded to the headers, so had to cut them off.
I've clamped the new mufflers onto the header pipes, wasn't a problem at all :)

This is what i did with my 650. Same deal with a 80-82 xs400 muffler, cut and slide on.

Last edited:
I have a couple aftermarket clamp on cone mufflers that I would let go for cheap. They are in greap shape bought a couple months before I got the bike and I just straight piped mine so I got no nead for them. PM me if you are interested. I can also post some pics.

Here is a pic of the mufflers I took off. They both still have the spacers in them. The one has a small ding as seen in the picture otherwise they are in awesome shape. PM me if you are still interested.

Attachments

• DSCN0305.jpg
    DSCN0305.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 265
Back