headlight relay

vectred

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to simplify the electrical system and would like to remove the headlamp relay .....
what to do? Can you add a headlight switch?
Where do the black / blue and yellow / red threads end?

Attachments

• xs400_LI.jpg
    xs400_LI.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 593
I thought you had an SE? That diagram doesn't match your bike or even the headlight relay function that your bike has.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're doing. You're wanting a simplified electrical system but keep talking about using stock harnesses.
Are you cutting pieces out of the stock harness? Abandoning wires? Removing wires? Are you just going to have a bunch of loose wires hanging where components used to be?
Abandon the TCI wiring and add wiring for your points?
This really doesn't sound simple.

If you dont want to use the headlight relay take it out and connect the two wires it controlled together. Tape up or remove the wires that activated it.
Add a switch if you want. Could interrupt the circuit at the handlebars or put it in place of the headlight relay.

I've had big problems .... I have a xs400 special II 1979
For the aesthetic part I'm building a brat / cafe and is getting really good
For the electrical part there were several problems ..... I entrusted the bike to a mechanic who does only special bikes and did not solve my problems (simplified the system). Battery that drained and overloaded in power and in some cases I feel it runs on a single cylinder.
Unhappy I brought the bike from another mechanic specializing in vintage weather and the problem is always the same
So I bought a complete wiring of an xs 400 heritage 1981
So i deleted the ignition pick up system and left the old system I had installed (condenser)
As I am still simplifying I have deleted the flasher relay and wanted to remove the relay headlights but I still have the black / blue and red / yellow wires
Do I do well to connect them to each other?

Thanks x the help

Headlight relay deletion looks ok.

There's nothing drawn in to make your points work.
Could probably tie the pickup bk/wht and red/wht at the TCI to the orange and grey, then adapt the pickup connector to connect to your points/contact breakers.
As long as the orange coil wire goes to the left contact breaker, and grey to the right contact breaker, I think it should work.

If you're using the stock flasher relay you'll want to tie the green/yellow wire to ground, either at the flasher or at the canceller connector.

In fact I left the old wiring .... at least this piece seems to be connected well .......

What about the green / yellow wire of the relay indicators can I proceed as in this scheme?

ignition.jpg
indicators.jpg

Back