hello everyone

Dirk Easterwood

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all im new here and I just bought an old xs400. Its was in really rough shape sat in a yard for 30 years. I plan to restore/cafe the bike and look forward to posting progress and getting help and advice from the forum. I just learned using this forum that my bikes frame and motor do not match. Frame is 1L9 vin and motor is 2L0. I am currently searching for a set of forks and cast wheels with front and rear disc brakes if anyone knows where to find them or parts that are interchangeable please let me know. :)

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your (re)build!
Non-matching frames and motors are quite common with these old bikes.
If you're looking for forks and wheels you could check ebay and craigslist, don't know where someone in the US can go besides those but there are bound to be other places.
Does your bike currently have discs? if not you're going to need the brake masters and calipers as well, and you'll need to weld something at the back of the frame to put the rear master and rear caliper on

and people here love pics

1L9 is the xs360. 2L0 is 78-E or 79-F xs400. Post some pics so we can see what you have:)

Here is what I picked up. It's rough. Already stripped the paint off the tank and hammered my knee dents pics to come.

Attachments

• 20140713_105406.jpg
    20140713_105406.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20140713_155202.jpg
    20140713_155202.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 201
I'd love to have those wheelhubs, been looking for a hub for spoke wheels in Europe but they're nearly impossible to get... too bad shipping from the US is so expensive :(

Bike does look like she'll need a lot of work, but I can already tell you're not afraid to get your hands dirty so good luck!

Here is some progress on the bike. Knee dents in tank now. Started stripping the frame of most mounting brackets. Engine wouldn't turn over removed head to find a slipped ring. Can't wait until she's running.

Back