Hello folks.

edwin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have been a visitor to your forum for awhile, reckoned it was time to join in.

At present I have a family of xs's and sr's 750 se 250 se sr 250 japanese import and an sr 125.
As you well know the 250 is a close cousin to the 400 hence a lot of the information on here is relevant
I have an engine that hasn't been run for 20 years and is reluctant to start.
We have =-
Compression 80 psi ? Points set
reasonable spark LHS Ignition timing set
Intermittent spark RHS
Refurbished carbs
New battery
new plugs and caps
Any suggestions? Edwin

Compression is too low. Min should be around 115. Normal is 150+. Check the valve clearances and if that don't help put a little oil in each spark plug hole. If the compression goes up, your pistons or rings are bad. Welcome to the forum.

piston rings are gummed up or valves sticking after 20 years.

top end strip and clean along with the rings

She runs.
Coil wiring was backwards,condenser and coil earthing was poor. Sorted these and rumbled into life (no silencers fitted). Smashin'! .Once I knew it would run I changed my focus to the fabrication side of the build,hooped subframe,pan and seat to suit,ali instrument brackets and the like.
Haven't rechecked the compression yet but I'm hoping it will improve after run it long enough to get the engine hot.
I'll let you know how things go from here as soon as, but for now thanks for the welcome and feedback.
Edwin

Back