Hello from another Canadian (cafe-bobber projects)

downtimeinc

downtime
Reaction score
Hey Guys - just wanted to say hello...been lurking on here for awhile now and have picked up some great info - thanks! I've been working on an 82 xs400 special cafe project for a little bit, and am now waiting on some parts to show up after a little incident with my wife and our truck...on the upside, the muffler modifications i was considering became somewhat mandatory, so there's that...
I'm by no means anywhere close to a mechanic, but after the local bike shop said they wouldn't work on the my bike because it was to old, I broke out the manual, ordered up some gaskets / assorted parts and dove in. It's been a hell of a lot of fun.

While waiting for parts I got bored and started lookin around for the next project, which I found and picked up last night - 79 xs400 in some stage of bobber. Its missing a ton of stuff so if anyone's got parts they're looking to sell/get rid of hit me up. I'm draggin my 15 year old into the process on this one as a bit of a father son project and am sure we'll both learn alot as we go. Attached a couple pics of the works in progress.

'82 cafe in progress

'79 bobber

Last edited:
G'day Downtime,

Great idea on a farther son project. I look forward to watching this build progress. Are you going to cafe your sons bike too?

Hey Pork chop - not sure on style yet for the 79...maybe a cafe/bob hybrid :) At this point we're gonna start with trying to get it running and go from there - the PO said it ran well before he started tearing it down but we'll see. Looks like its been outside for a winter and the wiring's a bit of a spaghetti bomb at this point. Going to start with changing the oil/draining the old gas, throw a battery and maybe some new spark plugs in it and see what happens...

Back