Hello from North Carolina, 1977 XS400 build

dmarkey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for checking out my thread. I purchased a 1977 XS400 today, which I pick up on Thursday. It's in great shape, with 11k miles, and clearly maintained by the original owner for the first 30+ years as well as by the current owner.

Back in December of 2013 I purchased a 1976 Honda CB750F SuperSport as a project bike. At that point I had never ridden a motorcycle, but had known for years that I wanted a cafe racer project. I've owned and modified a bunch of cars over the last 15 years since I started driving, but I've always been intrigued by motorcycles. I chose to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course at my local community college, and after passing it this weekend I knew I couldn't wait to finish the CB750 before I start riding.

The search began for a bike with enough power to haul my 6'2" 230lb self around; but not so much that I'd push my luck as a beginner. I figured the CB750 will end up with some power adders, and at this point looks like it will have shed 30lbs or more, so it will offer the extra power when and if I desire that.

I found a ton of local bikes within my $1,200-2,000 budget, but even the Craigslist descriptions and pictures were enough to rule out most of them. The short list included a CB360, another CB750, a BMW K75, and the XS400. The guy selling it sounded like an honest guy, and after seeing it I knew it would be the best bike for my money. The condition isn't perfect, but is very good for a bike that is 37 years old. Other than a slight fade to the paint, some typical metal/chrome finish aging, and a couple of minor revisions, it's a very nice stock bike.

So now you're wondering what the plan will be. For now, very little. I want to use this bike to get comfortable riding while working on the CB750. I do, however, see the potential for this platform. The small, narrow body of this bike is so well suited to making it a great bike for the curves, and there will be some changes made to improve upon that character of the bike. After I get comfortable with it, I plan on doing the standard cafe treatment of clip ons, a small single seat, rear sets, intake, exhaust, and some other odds and ends. I may end up painting the tank, but for now I love the look.

For now, the only photos I have are from the seller. Once I pick it up I'll try to get some better shots and to start documenting any changes. Thanks for listening, and if you're in my area pleas let me know so we can get together. I'd love to ride with some experienced riders, and to learn more about the bike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 148
I picked up the bike and rode it home yesterday. Roughly 50 miles of back roads, and overall it did great. :) I struggled a little due to inexperience, but mostly because it was sputtering a lot at anything under 3k RPM. Not a big deal, as I felt comfortable with the power and response between 4-5k anyway. It did leave me having to rev it anytime I stopped so that it wouldn't stall, because it was tough to get it to restart with the low RPM issues as well. Starting in first required being at 3K or more to keep it from bogging down, but once I got going it did fine.

I'm going to have a buddy check it out that is more familar with carbs and motorcycle repairs than I am and see if we just have a simple tuning issue, bad fuel, or what else might correct that. Once that's good it should be a great bike for around town. I think I'll end up moving to clip on bars sooner than expected, as I've got to crouch pretty far down at anything over 55mph anyway.

So, to sum it up, I'm a very happy owner. The CB750 project is fun to work on, but I think I'm going to enjoy riding this one, so hopefully I can still spend some time in the garage and not just out on the XS400.

Thanks! I've already spent an hour reading through a bunch of that. Looks like something to bookmark for all the future maintenance work and troubleshooting!

@willem, good advice. I used some in-fuel carb cleaner and found the bolt at the bottom of the carbs to be a little loose. A couple of miles later and it's running great. I'm able to let it idle now and can start at a lower RPM without bogging down. Since buying this bike last week I've put over 100 miles on it any I'm loving it. The first changes are coming soon. Biltwell Thruster grips are on the way, and I'm already planning out the new few steps.

Well, the rear brake locked up on me a couple of weeks ago and the issue turned out to be a collapsed brake line. I had a local shop make new front and rear lines, and ordered new pads online. I figured since it's down waiting on the parts to come in that I'd go ahead and do a few other things, so it's getting clubman bars, a modified factory seat, cleaned and repainted calipers, replacing the kick stand spring, chain adjustment and lubrication, new blade style fuse box, repaired wires for the rear lights, new tail light and fender removal, lowering the front end, shorter turn signals, and new handle bar grips and bar end mirrors. Wow... that list got a lot longer than I intended for it to be! Oh well. I want to ride this a lot and want it to run great so it's worth it.

Pictures coming soon as I finish up some of the stuff above.

Back