Hello from the desert

Curseduth

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and new to the platform. Just picked up a 78 gs400 and an 80 400. Not currently in running condition but not to far off. The 80 is a parts bike with drums and the 78 has discs. Intent is building a street warrior style but mainly just glad to be back on two wheels.

Where to start I this thing..should I build the 80 or the 78..I was born in 78 so that sways my decision some ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 209
welcome, I'd do the '78 but most bikes share the same parts and you always upgrade to the TCI from the '80 to the '78

I would use the best parts from both to build one. Does either have titles to them? Post more picks of the 78 as to me it looks more like a 80+ model.

Both bikes are titled.

I can't really tell the difference between these bikes other than the ignition systems..I was more of a Honda/saki guy..but the price was right and these bikes make great projects and they aren't fast enough to kill me like my last r6 wanted to..(chain locked up at 110mph)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 199
It doesn't seem to let me upload more than one pic at a time...here's the 80

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 187
I trolled some of your threads but do you have an easy how to for the tci swap? My wire colors do not match up to any of the schematics I've seen. And I do not have the harness for the 80, I have the battery is on and all the component connected to it (reg,tci box,rec)

welcome, I'd do the '78 but most bikes share the same parts and you always upgrade to the TCI from the '80 to the '78

So when I ohmed out the coils they were 2.75 soil would assume they are the later model coils, but being used with a point system? This bike is so rigged I almost doubt it was ever running. I might just break it down and start from the ground up, but I'd rather know that it is in a condition to build rather than just keep throwing parts at it..

So the bike is running kinda..the variable carbs are killing me. I think I'll just switch to the round slide 34s. Here's a pic of the progress.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 195
What's the easiest way of controlling dual slides? Y cable or two cables? Is there any stock bikes I can grab a cable from to run dual 34s? Here's a pick of my compacted battery box and battery that actually turns the starter. Cost me 30$.and it's not a one start wonder I have been able to turn over the bike for almost 15mins in intervals without it crapping out.
Also the battery box isn't organized because I have a short somewhere to the starter switch..swapping out an r6 one instead..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 182
Round slide 34's are wayyyyyy too big for these bikes. Just do a little search here and you'll see.

As for controlling them, it's up to preference. Y cables are easiest since you just toss them on and go, but sometimes there are issues with the junction block hanging up in the housing. Dual cables are my choice, but you have to deal with the cost of 2 cables, as well as buying a dual-pull throttle. The options for DP throttles are very limited and not cheap.

Thanks for the reply. I am not even sure that these are 34mm..when I measure them out they fit more to a vm28 ..I can't find the exact carb anywhere. It's marked 58L on the side inner bore is 33mm other side is around a 50mm. I scoured the web for hours trying to find exactly what these are, best I can gather is they were from a quad carb 900? I ordered a y cable after seeing the limited support for dual pull throttle tubes. I can only assume the carbs should be suitable they are a smaller bore than the gs400 carbs I had on it.

I found an eBay listing that had similar marked carbs for a three carb snow mobile, but they are jetted with 4stroke brass (instead of the two stroke stuff). I wish I had a plain ole stock set of carbs but the round slide do look nice on it and I have lots of experience with tuning them. (I went to tech school to work on yamaha, Honda and Harley untill I realized I knew more than most of the instructors...). But now I need to find the sporadic gremlin that keep cutting spark to my right bank..

Hello darkness my old friend...here's a shot of the round slide..I also have never seen the dump tube off the bottom of the bowl, where does this get routed? I would assume it should go to a charcoal canister or something, or does it require a plug?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 195
when you post, use the regular post button, not quick reply. or you can click "go advanced".

when you do, a dialogue box with more options pops up. at the top of the box there should be a "paperclip" symbol with a drop down arrow next to it. click this and then click manage attachments. this will open another window. press the buttons labeled "choose file", up to i think 6 at a time. then press the upload button. you can of course upload more than 6 pictures to one post, but i think only 6 at a time. just repeat the process after you hit upload, and they should all go to your "current attachment" list.

then, back in your main dialogue box, when you want to insert a picture, press the drop down arrow next to the paper clip, and this time select which attachment you want to insert.

hope this helps.
-F

I always go advanced, use the attachment manager. Load 6 images, upload..but it only takes one pic at a time. Assuming it's because I am using an iPad. I'll try on the desktop next go around. I miss SLO, I was stationed at vandemberg a few years ago..

nice man! it's my hometown, i came back in 2010.

settling down, decided to get a shop and build bikes with the little brother. in los osos, near montana de oro! best backdrop for a shop, hah

Back