Help a confused guy out with a SOHC camshaft install

wedge98

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am rebuilding the engine and I am at the point where I need to install the camshaft. I have read every thread, topic, and manual entry on how to do this and I am still confused as to what/where the "pip" is on the camshaft in the following sentence:

Insert camshaft so that the bolt-hole 'pip' is pointing straight up (beveled border with a protruding timing mark)

Is there a clear picture or some more description on this? I do not want to install the camshaft correctly and waste all my hard work.

Thank you

Fully instructions for reference:
Set left cylinder to TDC (LT mark on the rotor)
Feed timing chain through
Insert camshaft so that the bolt-hole 'pip' is pointing straight up (beveled border with a protruding timing mark)
Double-check that left cylinder is still at TDC
Insert bolt into camshaft sprocket with locktite
Rotate cam and engine to gain access to second camshaft bolt
Tighten bolts on camshaft evenly
Fit chain guide
Compress tension plunger with screw
Install cam chain tensioner blade
Decompress tensioner

post a picture of your cam shaft across the top and on both ends of it, and more importantly the gear of the cam, both sides. I'm sure we could point it out. I have a dohc engine all in pieces and looked at both my cams, the only thing I can think of is where on the gear of cam there is a timing mark, next the one of the bolts. I think this is what you're looking for. I could be wrong since we have different cams though!

is this the small raised bump on the edge of one end of the camshaft?

On the points side of the camshaft to be precise.

image of the raised bump I am talking about:

Attachments

• camshaft pic.jpg
    camshaft pic.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 544
I don't have my service manual with me right now but what it sounds like it is talking about is the raised surface on the cam gear. If you look at the bolt holes on the cam gear you will notice that one of the holes has a raised surface around it with a pointer on it. If I remember correctly it is supposed to point up but you do have to alaign the camshaft properly first. It sounds like you are missing a step in your instructions. BTW what year is your bike?

The bike is a 1980 xs400 SOHC. Yeah my problem is the camshaft can go on one of two ways. If it is put on wrong it will be 180 degrees off and the exhuast vavles will open before the intake. I have looked all over the camshaft for any marks or something to designate which of the cam gear mounting lobes should be facing up. Besides the mark at the end of the camshaft and what looks to be an oil port on the camshaft I can't find anything to mark which way goes up. Any help would be appreciated as my build is at a standstill until I figure this out.

That bump that you are pointing to on the camshaft is what you use to align the cam properly. I don't remember if it is up or down. I think it is up but at this point it is a guess. If you can wait about 5 hours or so I will check my manuals when I get home. I know it is in there.

That's the pip. It should be at 12 o clock position.
I'm on scout camp atm so can't answer quickly

Posted via Mobile

Yep! Manual confirms it.

LT mark on rotor aligns with index mark (turn engine forward when aligning)
PIP on cam gear up
ATU drive pin on cam up

:thumbsup:

just got back from a very wet camp, glad to help even if I was in the middle of a rainstorm under a tarp! :D

Drewpy, what a guy. This forum would be dead without you.
Wedge, sorry I couldn't be of help since I'm an DOHC guy, but please, let us know if it worked for you, since a lot of members never post about what solution worked for them

Back