Help! Carbs are pissing gas..

JacebF

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Right out of the filters..at first it did it ONLY when it was shut off. Now it does it while its running. Gas everywhere. Anyone have any ideas? I am new to carbs unfortunately but have a very good/extensive mechanical background. I'm afraid I just dont know much about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I burn it to the ground. Hah.

Check your needle/seats to make sure they are sealing properly. Another member on here just had a similar issue one one of his carbs and it turned out that his float was full of fuel......causing it to.....not float..... So fuel never got shut off.

Definitely float bowl adjustments. Same thing happened to me when I rebuilt the carbs. Make sure your brass float is adjusted to 26mm and if you have plastic bowls, I believe it's around the 32mm mark.

Thanks for the responses folks, I appreciate it!
Turns out that 1.) I am a dumbass.
and 2.) the floats needed adjusted.

Left the petcock on prime, didn't realize it what-so-ever..
Took the carbs off and realized the floats are about a 1/4" off of each other so I am going to attempt to reset them.

Also figured out that the carbs weren't synched very well, they had the "preload" screw for the linkage loose so one butterfly was open a little and the other was completely closed. Think I made enough progress that I may actually be able to ride the damn thing soon..

Just have to figure out how to properly adjust the floats and I think all will be well for once!

Back