Help installing chainguard

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After months of waiting trying to get one of these at a cheap price thanks to one of our members here I got the chrome guard I have been wanting.Yesterday I went to try and put it in its place.I tried sliding it in over the chain and around the shock without success.It kept getting stuck.So by the looks of things do I need to remove the shock first to put it on?Also does anyone know if its 8 or 10mm bolts to fasten it on?Thanks

Sorry Marty, (mcFly)been busy driving, and getting ready for my other part of my life, It seems to me that its just Screws, phillipps type.Shortys.now its too late to run out there an look.`

I think you can just take the shock off and slide it in, you should be able to just figure it out:confused:

The bike has dual shocks.I just didnt want to have to remove something and create any unessary work for myself.Also it would help If I knew what bolt size to get in advance.
Thanks

Yup been there done that:banghead: anyways I actually took a rubber mallet and "gently" tapped it into place. I ended up scratching the brand new paint job:banghead::banghead::banghead: so I would advise you to take the little extra time and just unbolt the bottom of the shock, swing it out the way, and bolt it back up saving yourself any real headaches

I didnt actualy have to remove the shock entirely just unloosen and knock it back some.It gave me enough clearance to slide the chainguard into place.

I agree with xschris...this the sort of thing you can just figure out for yourself :confused:

:laugh: cmon scorps with your mechanical background you would have worked it out bro!

Perhaps my background should help and for the most part it does.Except I never installed a chainguard on a car before :laugh:Had I not been given advice I would have removed the top of the shock instead of the bottom:doh:I dont why I thought the top instead of the bottom just did:doh:Just like issue I had with my starter chain falling into the cover behind the altenator.I figure as much that I would have to remove it.Having never delt with this situation before I wanted a confirmation before I took things apart.Adjusting our valve train is another example,I can do this on automotive engines all day long but on our bikes it much different.I struggled with that issue.Working on Japanese engines is not in my league,well wasnt but is now and Im learning new stuff when I work on my bike.

Here is what we drive in Minnesota that has chain guards.

Attachments

• pedalbikeMSP.jpg
    pedalbikeMSP.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 200
Back